Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

This may seem like a silly question but...

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 17 Replies
My boys are 8 (9 this weekend) and 11 (12 this summer). We have maybe 20 of those plastic party cups with characters on them that our kids use. If I don't pack them into the dishwasher just right they flip over and fill with water. I am considering getting rid of them or putting them up for when we have guests and just letting my boys use glasses.
What kind of cups do your kids use? plastic, glass, whatever's clean. Why?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have 3 boys. Ages 11, 10 and 9. We use a mix of glass cups and those plastic cups. But dishes are done by hand in our home.

But my boys have been using glass cups since they were old enough to drink out of a cup. They have to leave the cups on the counter in the kitchen or on the dining room table.They also use the same cup all day until time to wash dinner dishes. So there is never more than 5 cups dirty unless we've had company.

My suggestion to you, ask the boys which cups they prefer. If they say the plastic cups, then assign them different days to wash those cups by hand.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ds1 is a teen and mostly uses a glass; he'll use plastic sometimes if he feels like it. Ds2, 9, uses both plastic and glass, depending on his mood, and mine. Dd, 7, likes to use glass, but I tend to have her stick w/ plastic- easier on my nerves : )

SuperLooneyMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
We too have a mixture of glass and plastic. My dd 6 still uses plastic as do my boys. But I've reduced the amount of plastic. Just to have space in the cabinet. Usually I donate them
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM

My son uses mugs a lot. We have a lot of mugs that match our dishes, and so it's convenient to use.

Other than that, he'll use glass.

We rarely use plastic cups.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Well my dh hates to drink out of plastic, he says it makes is drink taste weird. So we mainly have glass in the house. Only two plastic cups that I send with dd to camp, and the sippie cups are plastic. DD mainly drinks out of glass and has for a long time.

mommyto3bees
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

i dunoo i have "kids cups" character cups, smaller cups, sippy cups , cups with straws

mbrowne1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My kids are the same age and I've mostly moved them over to glass. We moved this past year and it saved on space. We also have the kids use the same glasses for most of the day just to save on washing. I did keep the favorite plastic cups and those for the holidays which the kids were excited to use. It's also nice to have a few plastic ones around for guests with younger kids who visit but they are generally on a higher shelf.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

plastic cups from Ikea.  I need to get more.

wenchmommy381
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

we got plastic mugs, 2 or 3 in each of the boys' favorite colors. They love them, and so do I. They can use glasses too, but they like the mugs more.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

HAha - the kids mostly use plastic - though they are old enough now that I wouldn't care if they used glass. They just have always used plastic and never asked to use glass.

If we have a sit-down dinner then we use glass at the table but for daily use they use plastic.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)