Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What age will you put your daughter on birthcontrol??

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm pregnant with my first child, a girl. SO and I were talking and have been debating about birthcontrol for her, as stupid as it sounds because it's so far away. But, none the less, I'm curious as to what other moms have to say? It concerns me so much because when I was in H.S, A LOT of girls got pregnant on purpose. This scares me lol So, I just want opinions =] Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

OY!  I don't know.  It's probably going to be different from one child to the next.  I'm hoping that our open talks and communication about puberity will continue through this phase as well.  I am hoping to have the same with my 6 year old twins (both girls).  I just don't know that answer.  I didn't get on it until i was 17 years old....without the help of my mom.  It was more because of a scare that I was pregnant.  I am sure she knew I was having sex.  I just wished she would have talked to me and helped me.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

NEVAH!  lol  I don't have a dd, so I don't have to worry about getting bc for any females other than myself.  

As far as my sons go, there will be a condom dispenser installed on the bathroom wall for their teen years.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I have a son, and so this isn't an issue for us. He's only 13, and he's not sexually active. We probably won't have a condom dispenser, like Steel plans to do. Currently, we will probably buy his first box if he tells us he needs it. He does get an allowance, and so he should be able to buy them on his own too.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never "put my child on birth control."

That implies that I don't trust her and am forcing it upon her.

I will keep an open discussion with all my kids about sex and safety and take them to a Dr. as needed.

IMO - just randomly taking them to get birth control is the same as you condoning it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I would not be the one to decide that.  It is her body and her choice.  Our DD is 14 and despite having her period for less than a year is pretty regular.  At some point if she were having issues that BC would help with I would consider allowing her to go on it even if she was not sexually active.  But it would still ultimately be her choice.  We have a great relationship with her and her twin brother and we talk about anything and everything.  I feel very confident that she will discuss it with me when the time is right even if she is out on her own when she finally decides to go on BC. We are firm believers in ongoing open communication with our kids and so far it has been very effective.  They are both very open with us and they know what are values and expectations are.

GagaNTattooS
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Um never....no dd yet but I wouldn't make her take it if I did..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Well, if dd continues to have heavy cycles..I'll be giving it to her when she's 13.

kellysparkles
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM

LOL!  My husband and I just had our first child - a girl - and we had the same discussion.  He freaked out and said, "She won't need birth control because she won't be having sex.  THIS is her birth control.." then he proceeded to point at his rifle and finish with, "...no boy will want to stick his dick in that!" lol  

My answer, though, is it really depends on her.  If she gets her period at 13 and the cramps are unbearable (that's what happened to me) then I'll put her on it because it'll help.  If she asks for it at 15, then I will have no problem supplying it.  The way I look at it, if she's being proactive enough to ask for it then hopefully she'll be responsible enough to not get pregnant before she's ready.

That being said, I will not force her to take it but I will make sure she takes it correctly.  It will also come with a very in depth discussion (and probably a lot of pictures) of sex, STDs/STIs, and the whole shabang.

Homealonex2
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My dd would be the one who would make that decision.  In our home we have very open communication about everything.  She knows that this is a request that she can make at any time.  This doesn't mean that I'm okay with her becoming sexually active but, she needs to be able to protect her self.  However, I would not only be supplying the BC but, condoms as well.  Girls need to know that they can have one just in case the boy decides he didn't bring one. 

bleumonster
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I know moms who put their daughters on bc at 12. I know several girls who got pregnant at 12, 13, and 14. My DD is currently 14 and not sexually active yet. When she does become sexually active, she may go on bc but currently she isn't having periods because of PCOS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)