Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

gamers

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM
  • 6 Replies
I can't get any of my 3 boys away from the Xbox....it hard to get them out of the house and my 13/almost 14 yr old has bad attitude about ever leaving the house. Even his room. Anyone going through this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
strangeyfine
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:50 AM

From my SO :(  take the gaming equipment out of the bedroom, and when they won't get off take it away. You are the parent.

jandhmommy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Oh yes.  Our ds (also 14) loves to play on his computer.  every now and then we just have to take it away so he finds something else to do, but he does always get his homework done (straight A's), picks up his room, takes out/down the garbage and whatever else we ask...so we aren't too hard core about it.  He can get obsessed with the game (it is a creating type game, so it can take a long time to build things), but then I remember how he was obsessed with different things at different ages (legos, puzzles, etc).  He is still polite and well mannered, so I guess I'm not too worried.   DD is also getting to the age where she won't hardly leave her room.  Reads or watches tv on her kindle, talks non-stop to her best friend, and does perler beads for hours, lol.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Limit the time. My son's time is limited to an hour on school nights, and he can't play before 10 am on weekends.

If you are going somewhere and they won't get off the Xbox, say they can't play it the next day.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM
In my house, TV and video games cannot be turned on until 7pm. Chores, homework, and dinner must be done. If they are done early then they must find something else to do. I'm very strict about this so they.do not argue back because they know its a rule.

On weekends we are a less strict but, of ,course, they play sports so we can be gone all day. I would think you can add rules on weekends too but, no matter what, you need to be consistent and follow up with consequences that include no Xbox.

There has to be something that they have to do to earn playing it. Otherwise, it becomes a way of life for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OvrMyHead
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

My DS is the same way.  He is 12, as far as I can remember he has always been a homebody and loves the computer, ipod, video games, whatever.  I hate it.

brandi185
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

i just tell my kids no.  they have to ask before they can even turn the xbox on in their play room.  we don't have cable so they use it to also watch netflix and hulu.  we got them an xbox remote and the controllers have to stay in the living room.  it is impossible to play a game with the remote.  if they are playing a game and won't turn it off i just power it off.  i have only had to do that once.  when they ask and i let them play before they even turn it on i tell them that if they throw a fit when i tell them to turn it off they lose the privilege to play games for one week.  the xbox has a family timer.  so you can set it for a certain amount of time for each day, per week, etc.  it will give the choice to add more time or shut off console when time is up.  you have to put in a code to add more time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)