Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

My sons only glued to video games n TV what to do?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:06 AM
  • 11 Replies

what to if ur sons  only watching tv?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Unplug the electronics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:53 AM

I turn it off. I left DD21 at home with the younger 3 while DH and I had lunch, went to the movies and did the groceries, and said "One hour of TV/Xbox only" and when DD turned off the TV (apparently only after 58 minutes) DS lurched into a full blown tantrum turning it back on, hitting DD to get the remote off her, screaming at her (and he's 9). DD decided to leave it, allow him the extra time and wait for me to come home. When I did I automatically went to punish DD for the 4 hours of TV before her and my other 2 girls told me what happened. So now my son doesn't get the privelige of staying home with DD and he's limited to how much TV he can watch (an hour a weekend day) because TV makes him crazy.

Limit his screen usage drastically. half an hour a day - unless it's for school work. Then if his behaviour improves you can start to increase slowly.

CV3
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Do that commercial where the mom shuts off the power till the kids go outside. Or just do what we got when we were kids and kick him out. Tell him dont come back till the streetlights come on.

Barabell
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Turn it off. If he throws a fit, take it away the next day too.

Set rules limiting electronic time, lay out the consequences if that rule isn't followed, and then enforce it!

elkmomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I have a whole herd of cows now.  1 for every time I turn the boob tube off or restrict DS (12) from electronics.  Great now I can't find the Tylenol.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Set limitations and enforce it! 

TV doesn't go on until 7pm and ONLY after dinner and when chores and homework are done.  If it's done before, they have to find something else to do.  I'm thinking of changing it to 7:30 and between 7 and 7:30pm, they are allowed to go on the computer or Nook for learning websites only....if they don't, they wait until 7:30pm.  I'm still thinking about this. 

wulfeyes05
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

My mom would unplug the tv and console when my brother would set there all day

norahsmommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Shut it off. We have tv times and each kid gets their day to pick one movie or 2 tv programs that they all will watch. Total my kids watch no more than 2 hours a day but its usually less and some days we watch none at all. That's total screen time, not just tv.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Turn it off and set limits.  You are the parent, not him.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Um. Tell him to go play or do something constructive! complicated. You are the parent, so its your job to set rules and limits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN