Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

OT - would you use an at home hairdresser?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

I looked forever to find a good hairdresser.  I got a call the other day from the salon that she is no longer with them. I don't know why she left but they gave me her number. 

Now she is doing hair out of her house.  I'm not sure how I feel about going to some one's house.  I'd rather be at a salon but a good person is hard to find.

I don't think she was planning on leaving.  She's in the middle of buying and renovating a new house. The whole thing seemed really sudden.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It depends on how long i was going to her and how much I've gotten to know her.  I don't have a hairdresser....i do go to a place that does decent hair cuts.  My friend had a hairdresser that was great and they became friends.  She used her for over 2 years and she started getting her haircuts at her house so they can drink wine and have fun while she was getting a haircut.  Even though my friend moved away, they still keep in touch.

EslingerCrew11
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM
My cousin does it out of her.home, but shes licenced, the room was made just for it (renovated an unused bedroom, even has its own entrance) & its all legal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM
If you are familiar with her work, yes. I wouldn't let just anyone do it, but if you know she's good, her being in a home shouldn't change that. If you're uncomfortable going to her home, its possible that she would come to yours for a small fee. I have gone to peoples houses to do hair before. Unless special equipment is needed, it shouldn't be a problem!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

hmm... never thought about it being not be legal.  I'm sure she's licenced. I've been going to her about 2 - 3 years.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

If she has been doing your hair for awhile now, what would the problem be?  You obviously like how she does your hair and you obviously have a decent relationship with her.  It is no different than her moving to another shop.  I really don't understand the problem.

shannzuno
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I say go! Once i am licensed i plan on working in a salon for 5-10years then making a at home "studio". I just think overall ill like it more. I see more benifits of it, but my mind may change in 5-10years so who knows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I guess I'm worried that she won't be set up or have the right equipment.  I usually get a cut and color. Is she going to have a way to wash my hair?  Will she have the color?  What am I going to do sit at her kitchen table?

It's one thing when the person is planning on having an in home business but it doesn't seem like this was her intent. I like the anonymity of the salon but I really did like her.  I'm torn.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I would, but my hairdresser is one of my best friends. I would trust her anywhere. She's fully licensed, which is a big deal to me. If it was someone else, and I was used to them and trusted them, I don't see why the location would matter, really.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yes. The lady who does my braids has been doing them for about 8 years. She had her basement renovated to look like a salon long before I started going to her, she is licensed.

kerri1205
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I go to a friend's house for my hair.  She just sets a chair up in her kitchen and washes our hair in the kitchen sink.  She does an awesome job and is just doing it out of her home so she can be at home iwth her 4 kids.  Going to her, helps support that and I love that.  Plus it is a lot less $$ for me to pay than when I went to her at a salon she had worked at. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)