Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How Important is it that your childs room be neat?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 59 Replies

My DD'sroom drives me nuts. I keep my mouth shut and ask her to pick-up once a day. It's still  cluttered  but better.  Sometimes maybe 2-3X's year I go in and  do a major cleaning. But she is 10 now and I am sure this will not fly for much longer. She always appreciates when I do and says how nice it looks. Is your child's room a disaster and if so, frustratedwhat are your thoughts on this "battle"?

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
My kids rooms have to be clean. Not perfect, but they pick up when they're done playing (my two year old gets help) and before bed, and they sweep and dust once a week. That way we never have the "clean your room" battle, it just stays pretty much clean, and it only takes a few minutes to clean it each day. Its part of their daily chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Decent.  That's all I ask.  WE live in a very small house and all 3 share a room (well, it's 2 rooms turned into one) so they do have a lot of stuff there but I do expect their stuff to picked up off the floor.  I would say once a week I have them go through it.  Like you, I have them help me do a major cleaning about 2-3 times a year.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This is a battle that I do not fight.  If they wish to live in a pig stye so be it.  I don't have to live there and I can easily shut the door and not look at it.  Their rooms have been their responsibility for a long time now, so I do not do it for them at this point.

My only rule is that food and drinks are never permitted in bedrooms.  This has been a long standing rule and the kids know better.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Here is a picture of my youngest son's room, his is always the messiest.  In all honesty, this looks good.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Kinda important if she wants to keep her stuff INTACT. By that I ean..I find everything on her BR floor! If I stepon it and it breaks..she gets mad at me. I tell her.. well keep the shit off the floor, put it away where it's suppossed to go!

nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM
My dd keeps her room pretty clean. We re arrange it a few times a year just to clean out stuff. If she seems to take a long time cleaning then i know she is kind of stuck on where to put things so i go help her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Neat Vs. clean? LOL 

I requirethat there be a safe path from the door to the bed andthe bed to the window in case there is an emergency or fire. Other than that, it's their hive. If they wanna be pack rats, I just close the door. 

DH on the other hand, will rant and yell and freak on a messy room if he gets it in his head to notice, which is rare. LOL

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
If I can walk across his room to the dresser and clothes are in the hamper.... It's his space, his room. We all have odd organizational systems. If he can find what I ask for, I see no problem.
Bella14308
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I have to tell my kids daily to clean their room... it drives me nuts.... i expect beds made, dirty laundry in the hamper, floor clear, nothing under the beds, & dresser tops neat.

the basement playroom i fight them everytime they go down there. i expect yhem to clean up and put away any and everything they take out and play with.

Food and drinks are not allowed to leave the kitchen.

My 2 year old is better at putting her toys away than my older girls (ages 8 & 10) are.
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Intersting.

I have one messy child and one neat child that share a room.  The neat child keeps her stuff in decent order.  The messy child is a disaster. I pretty much pick up her stuff and require her to clean out her bed area every other month or so.

Honestly the room is small and they don't spend much time in it other than sleeping and reading.

HOWEVER, once we get finished with the grand house remodeling project they will each have their own room.  I intend on making them more responsible for their own stuff.  Let's see how long I can stick with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)