Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How to gently tell dd that she is no athlete..

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 19 Replies

OK so my dd who is 12 wanted to sign up for softball this year. There were no tryouts or anything just show up to open gym. She is very clumsy and I saw other girls laughing at her. I don't want to tell her to quit because she seems to like it. She is not good at athletics and does not know any of the girls there. Hoe do I break it to her? Let her find out the hard way? Advice please!

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabellelee
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Don't, just praise the effort she puts into it.

nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
4 moms liked this
Dont, take her and practice alot and help her get better. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autiemama516
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting nebcutie:

My dh never does anything with the girls. I never played softball in my life. I am going to ask him to help out more. 

TwinSoccerMom
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Let her have fun.  If she enjoys it let her play. Make sure to let her know that you are proud of her accomplishments, no matter how small.  Practice with her.  You don't have to know anything about softball, just toss the ball around, practice some hitting.  Find a teammate or neighbor who might work with her. But if she is having fun and she is getting exercise that is a very good thing.  I have coached plenty of soccer players that were not athletic along with their athletic peers and they still had fun. I tried to make sure those girls played positions that they were more comfortable with when possible to help with their confidence.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Please let her do it! I sucked but I had a great time even out in left field :-)
My coach taught me how to keep my left handed swing from going foul . I even managed to make it to first a couple of times.

She needs to prove ( or disprove) her athletic skills to herself with a coach helping. F*ck the other girls. If this is what she wants to try, then honestly, it's your place to support her, not " break it to her that you think she's wasting her time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you should just keep quiet and let her do the best she can do. She will never learn how to do anything if you tell her she can't. Who cares if the other girls were laughing at her. That's part of growing up. Maybe after a few days of practice and coaching she will get the hang of it. I sucked my first time at Fast Pitch Softball my freshmen year. But I played regular softball from T-Ball up until my senior year. I was great at it, but not when it came to the fast pitch part of it, until I got the hang of it after a week of practice.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM
If you pm me, I can give you a drill to work on catching. I'm a softball coach and use the drill for my girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Why would you tell her that? She can't get better until she practices, no one is just good right away. Just let her play for fun, it's not all about being good and winning. Praise her for trying.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I'm sure she would love if her dad helped out. But you can help her, too. I never played softball except in PE, but that wouldn't stop me from helping my girls if they needed me.

Quoting autiemama516:

Quoting nebcutie:

My dh never does anything with the girls. I never played softball in my life. I am going to ask him to help out more. 

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 11 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 16 years old (niece) 

ThinkAgainMom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Don't say anything negative.  You may be surprised.  If this is a no tryout team YOU may be her worst critic!  She will see (probably already has) that she is not one of the best on the team.  If they come to accept her, and encourage her, and she gets to have the team experience, that's great!!  If it starts to get ugly with her teammates, talk to the coach.  As long as she/he has a positive attitude, it will still be okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)