Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Found out my 12, not 13 year old has smoked weed

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

I found out my son who plays basketball in school, is on honor roll, etc has tried weed but I don't know what to do to make him see that not only is it going to mess up his future but that it could be laced with something or the synthetic marijuana has horrible things in it.  Any advice?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
catngabsmom
by Erica on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM

you are going to have to be blunt, this is not something that can be sugar coated!! many high schools drug test athletes now, find the research on the web, show it to him, have him research it with you!!! my mom tried grounding my brother for that, it didn't stop him, he just snuck out or did it again when he was no longer grounded. i think a different approach would have changed things and there are so many more options available now than there were 20+ years ago!!

wenchmommy381
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I tried it once.... granted I was 19 and in college. It wasn't that great. Have you asked him what caused him to try it and how he felt about it? You might be freaking out for nothing. Don't be afraid to be the bad guy for your son so that he has a way to deflect future peer pressure. And of course talk to him about drug testing and how weed can be dangerous.

UFJenn21
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Thanks so much

psych_mom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting catngabsmom:

you are going to have to be blunt, this is not something that can be sugar coated!! many high schools drug test athletes now, find the research on the web, show it to him, have him research it with you!!! my mom tried grounding my brother for that, it didn't stop him, he just snuck out or did it again when he was no longer grounded. i think a different approach would have changed things and there are so many more options available now than there were 20+ years ago!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN