Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid Things People Say to Moms of Girls

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

5 Stupid Things People Say to Moms of Girls

by Kristen Chase

Stupid things people say to parents of girlsAs a mom of four kids, I've had some pretty stupid things said to me over the years. But none have been as bad as the things people say to me (and my husband) about parenting three girls.

But hey, thank goodness I at least have one boy to balance things out.

(Seriously, someone said that.)

If you're raising girls yourself, then I'm guessing you've heard at least some or all of these things too.

Well, so much for your namesake! Last time I checked, I kept my own name, and although I didn't pass it along to my kids, it's 2013 and not 1957. There are plenty of women who are keeping their last names and giving them to their kids. And even crazier, there are men who are hyphenating and/or changing their own names.

More from The Stir: If I Die: Life Lessons for My Daughters

How do you survive with all the estrogen in your house? I cannot tell you how many times my husband hears this and how many times he has to tell people how wonderful it is to have so many women in the house. Even better is when people push him to talk about "that time of the month," which generally makes his blood boil. I like to ask them about their bowel regularity (which to me is an equally inappropriate topic), which generally shuts people up.

Good luck when they're teenagers! So let's be clear here: Teenagers in general are hard, not just girls. In fact, I'm pretty sure it'll be crazy in my house because I'll have four teenagers, not because three of them are girls. But hey, you're welcome to come over and document that first hand considering how much you know about child development.

Hope you're saving up for all those weddings! I realize that, traditionally speaking, the bride's parents pay for the wedding; however, that's not something that happened to me and it won't be happening for my kids either. We're happy to support them in their choices, whether it's marriage or a partnership or whatever else they decide, but I won't be plunking down thousands of dollars for their weddings. And PS. Is it really your business?

It must be so quiet and peaceful in your house! I still can't quite understand why people think girls are so docile. Sure, maybe a gaggle of boys might be more active in their play, but trust me when I say that girls are not peaceful or quiet. And if they are, like most other kids, they are probably doing something they're not supposed to. Thanks for furthering gender stereotypes!

Parents of girls: What annoying things have people said to you?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I have 3 girls and the #1 question I get is "are you going to try for a boy?" 

Noooooo!  3 kids are enough.

The teenager thing also comes up.

wenchmommy381
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I used to get the opposite with three boys. Turns out I did end up with the girl the 4th time... but we sure as hell weren't trying!

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm getting a little tired of the whole "princess" thing. I have no intention of spoiling my daughter any more than I did my boys, which is to say not at all. 

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
momof2ex1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Oh I've had a couple from other parents of girls as well and it makes me chuckle. My boss has a 13 year old that has been home schooled her entire life. My daughter has always gone to public school. I love my boss but he and his wife tend to be a bit stuck up socially. I would never cross paths with them outside of the office.

He asked how my daughter was doing and I said 'oh she's doing great.. She started junior high (pause.. Deep breath) he interrupts me and says 'that's exactly why we homeschool'. I said 'huh?' And he said all of the girl drama.

I said oh... No we haven't had any 'girl' drama what I was going to say is that the homework is going to be the death of me...

I know there is drama but did he really just assume that my daughter has drama? Just because she is a girl?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have one girl. She is a sweet heart right now, but everyone keeps saying it will change when she is a teenager- well it may not, not all girls are hard to deal with when they are teens.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM

i have two girls, i used to hear "when are you going to try for a boy". now that they are 10 and 11.5, i think people have realized that we were just trying to not have a third girl!!! my husbands co-workers also used to tell him that with him being the only guy in the house, that he should get an apartment to escape PMS, smart man that he is, replied "well then who will go get them ice cream and tampons?"

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

This is funny.  I think we've heard all of these from time to time. It reminds me of some of the stupid things people say to parents of twins.

The one that most annoys me is that people assume that girls are easier. I get the "thank goodness you have girl twins and not boys". Huh? Not every little girl will sit quietly and play tea party in the corner. Mine were all over the place going ninety miles an hour.

kristichilds72
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM

My girls are 2 years apart. Everyone assumes they will always fight over boys and clothes..

SweetLuci
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My sister had three boys and got tired of people asking if she was going to try for a girl, so she started saying, "no, I'm going to raise my boys and let them try for girls", and now she has 7 grandaughters.  lol

Quoting M4LG5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)