Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Anyone have a large age gap between their tween and other children?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 23 Replies

My tween is 12 will be 13 in september. We also have a 2 year old. We of course didnt plan to have such an age gap between them but I got pregnant with my tween when I was young and of course wanted to wait until i was married before having another. Anyway for those of  you who also have a large age gap between children do you find it easier or difficult? I found it to be easier when he was a newborn because when our youngest napped we could too and i didnt have to worry about supervising my other child because he was old enough to hang out in his room etc. But now that my youngest is older i find it harder especially in the aspect of finding things to do as a family. Ideas I may come up with seem to only interest either my youngest or my oldest but rarely both. Half the time I feel like my tween complains more then my youngest about things. He also never wants to entertain his younger brother because he says "hes just a baby." Its very frustrating! Anyone have any tips or advice on dealing with this?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't but my sister has a 17 year old and a 2 year old.  I don't know what she was thinking.  hahaha.  I can tell that she doesn't have the same rules as she did with the first one.  I think she just "goes with the flow" but I can already see how this is nipping her in the bud.  Her son (the 17 year old) is helpful though.  My sister will ask him to do things as she gets dinner ready and cleans the house.  actually, what she has done was give him a choice....watch his sister or do the dishes.  He tends to choose to watch his sister.  hahaha.

somuchlove4U
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM
11 yrs age difference between my daughters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catngabsmom
by Erica on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM

mine are both girls, 18 months apart and never agree or want to do the same things!!!

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Yeah, my oldest is 14 and my other two are 5 & 2. He's pretty good about playing with the littles though. They don't like it when he goes to a friends house or has a friend over and I make them stay out of his room, but I try and make sure he has some time without little kids around
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM
My daughters are 12 and 9 and my son is 15 months. We haven't really had an issue yet since he is still so young. Things you could do are bowling, go to beach, or pool, bike riding, walks, picnics, sledding, hike, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Delta.Dawn
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I have a 6 yr age gap between each of my children. DS will be turning 13 in June, DD will be turning 7 in Oct, and #3 is due in Sept.

Will baby #3 be a Asher or a BrynLeigh ?

hkcason
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I have an 11 yr old, 21 month old & a 3 week old. My oldest, DS1 adores his younger siblings. I've tried to involve him in a lot of things & I think that's helped. His little sister loves her 'bubba'  & we're doing the same thing with the baby DS2. As far as family outings, we've done play museums, aquarium, 6 flags, which made the rule an hour of oldest rides(which happen to coincide w/DD's nap) then an hour of DD's stuff. So far that's worked!

mamarj
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
My kiddos are 9 years apart, 11 and 2. I had health issues and miscarriages and was convinced we were going to have an only child. Then just as we were adjusted to the easy life of an 8 year old I found out in was pregnant again and I made it past the first trimester! We were excited but I think DH had a harder time adjusting to having a baby around than my daughter did. We were just getting to that point in our lives where I was starting to come out of the boring mom syndrome and reconnecting with friends and becoming social again. When you have only one child and they are self sufficient people are OFFERING to babysit! Now with a 2 year old I'm back in boring mom mode. Lol! DH would make plans to go on a weekend vacation with friends then we would have to cancel because we couldn't find a babysitter for both kids. No one wanted to watch a baby all weekend. But as far as DD goes she LOVES having a little brother! She is living vicariously through him! She loves doing all the little toddler stuff again with him. When she was outgrowing Chuckie Cheese and the Children's Museums she loves taking him there. I really don't think there is anything she is missing out on because of his age and she will choose to stay home to play with him over going to a friend's house sometimes. I am very lucky to have her :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mykids29
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM

My daughter is turning 13 in June and my son is turning 7 in august. So it's a six year gap. They get along pretty well for the most part but sometimes my daughter gets a little mad at her brother when he won't leave her alone

Madammeke
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:07 AM
My tween is 12 his father just had a child, his stepsister is 12 days old.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)