Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Anyone have a large age gap between their tween and other children?

Posted by   + Show Post

My tween is 12 will be 13 in september. We also have a 2 year old. We of course didnt plan to have such an age gap between them but I got pregnant with my tween when I was young and of course wanted to wait until i was married before having another. Anyway for those of  you who also have a large age gap between children do you find it easier or difficult? I found it to be easier when he was a newborn because when our youngest napped we could too and i didnt have to worry about supervising my other child because he was old enough to hang out in his room etc. But now that my youngest is older i find it harder especially in the aspect of finding things to do as a family. Ideas I may come up with seem to only interest either my youngest or my oldest but rarely both. Half the time I feel like my tween complains more then my youngest about things. He also never wants to entertain his younger brother because he says "hes just a baby." Its very frustrating! Anyone have any tips or advice on dealing with this?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Replies (21-23):
NiCo86
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My kids are 4 and 11. Sometimes it's hard having them play together because, as the 11 year old put it "how do you expect me to play with him??? He's 4 ... *I'M* 11!" *rolls eyes* kids! But I like the idea of the age gap because big brother has been a big influence.

yowza
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a 13 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. Yes, it is challenging.....mainly because both are going through different stages at different times. I think it's important to set aside one on one time with your older child....call it a "date"and let him choose the activity he gets to do with you. I'm sure he's feeling a bit neglected and left out even if he really isn't. Be paitent with him. Find ways to include him in with his little brother like having him get a diaper or wipes for him....etc. I think the more one on one time you find with your older son, he'll be more apt to interact with his brother. Also, pick one day out of the week that you have to have family time with everyone. The activity isn't as important as just spending time together. The littler one will have to do some catch up but a walk to the park, out to dinner, picnics, and just trying to include everyone in the activities. It doesn't matter how well the person does an activity either just that they try. Ya might even be surprised on how funny things can be and the fam can laugh at each other in good taste.

Good luck!! 

cgarlic
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM
My SS is 12 and my DDs are 8 & 19m. When asked the oldest isn't really hopefully unless he is showing off for company. He is also very immature so I actually trust the 8 yr old to play with her over him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN