Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son not close with boys as friends...

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is 10 years old and in the 4th grade. He is an only child and is very well adjusted, he is just a very happy kid. He has always had friends that are girls, but never had any boys that he does stuff with other than sports or other activities. Should I be concerned?  We have, as a family, moved quite a bit...kindergarten in Chicago, 1st grade Canada, 2nd & 3rd back to the States close to extended family, 4th another school...he does make friends easily, is confident and secure, the teacher said kids like him but no boys ever at get togethers, just girls.  Doesn't seem to bother him but should it?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
He's seems fine to me. My husband and son make friends with females but less with males. I make friends with males rather than females. So it's rather normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nancy2003
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Thanks, that's what I think but you know, other people find it strange...that is what kind of bothers me, other people's judgement.

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I don't find it strange.  Up until this year I've had girls that would rather hang out with the boys. It's always kind of bothered me b/c I think it's important to have girl friends also but they are who they are.

My girls are 11 and in the 5th grade, btw.

Now that we've gotten into the catty mean girl tween years it doesn't bother me as much. 

mamarj
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM
My DD has boy in her class that always hung out with the girls and his best friend was a girl. They would call him a TomGirl (opposite of tomboy I guess) and I would correct her and explain that to a boy that doesn't sound as cool as Tomboy does for a girl. He plays sports and is still friends with the boys but he just liked hanging out with the girls. Now they are in junior high and I think he is changing over to the boy side because the girls are getting boring. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Why stir up trouble?  He is likeable, comfortable with who he is and makes friends.  

A year from now all his friends may be boys.  

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Why does it bother you?  Judgement of others should not make him do anything differently if it makes him feel good to hang out with girls. 

Even though I have several friends that are women (just recently I've become closer with other moms) but in looking back, my best friends that I can really talk to have been males.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My twins' (girls) are best friends with these boys (also twins).  They are confident that they can play with each other.

OvrMyHead
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My son is 12 and doesn't have many friends (none that we plays with outside school) but like your son seems very happy and well adjusted.  I'm not sure if there is anything we, as parents, can do about that. 

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't see the problem here. I wouldn't worry.

Things1and2mom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I wouldnt worry sometimes  some people can just be friends easier with the opsite  sex .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)