Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Is 12 too young...

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
  • 163 Replies
To play with a 5 1/2 year old?
Full on playing like playing dolls, playing school, playing Legos, making up games, playing dress up...

I have no opinion on the matter except it crossed my mind. I realized tonight that my daughter who is right at 12 coming very soon, has no real interest in a lot of friends, 12 year old things, maturing, growing up, except for playing constantly with her little brother. Please don't take my question as if I have a problem with it at all. But I realized tonight how immature she is and how she is not how I was when I was her age. (Thank goodness)

She has a few girlfriends at school. But it seems her best friend is her little brother. And I don't know what to think of it. Be grateful or be concerned.

Thanks for any input.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
3 moms liked this
I think she is fine. She loves her bro that much. My son was the same way with my dd
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Not sure , but I'd say more grateful and  just a little concerned.

nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I have only one. But in your case if you have a peaceful household dont stir the pot. Lol my friend has 2 girls a few years apart and i swearcthe fight so much i would go nuts! My dd is 12 and like to play with little kids but does her usual headphones in hercears when she is byherself.
momof2ex1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Yes! They are extremely close but I worry about her maturity level around kids her own age. She likes to giggle and squeal. I thought this year would be the year that should would kind of grow out of baby brother because she is in junior high now. But she hasn't. The ONLY concern I have is that she just isn't maturing the way I would think. Bless her heart she has no street smarts. She is book smart but she just doesn't 'act' like an almost teenager. Some of her friends are very mature and are calm, hang out, have big 'girl' rooms, like to text and talk on the phone; not this kid. Sometimes I think she is a 7 year old in a 12 year old body.

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

I think she is fine. She loves her bro that much. My son was the same way with my dd

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I am so grateful we don't have the fighting and sibling drama that normally goes on. But sometimes their closeness kind of annoys me. I hope that doesn't come out wrong. It's just that they are inseparable during waking hours. She is such a big help with him. Helps him to do everything and never fights with him. But I just kind of wonder how normal they are lol. My brother and I were 6 years a part and there is no way in h3ll that we would have ever played together like they do. I started letting her go to sleepovers and letting her ride her bike around the neighborhood in hopes that she would find some other interest but then he cries for her while she is gone. And then they are glued to each other when she comes back. Even when she has friends over they let him hang out. I think that is strange lol

Quoting nebcutie:

I have only one. But in your case if you have a peaceful household dont stir the pot. Lol my friend has 2 girls a few years apart and i swearcthe fight so much i would go nuts! My dd is 12 and like to play with little kids but does her usual headphones in hercears when she is byherself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM
I think that is how I feel. I am concerned that she is not putting herself out there socially.

I found a video she recorded on her phone of her and two of her friends. She was being extremely silly and the other two girls were annoyed by her. But yet they call her and invite her to go places so I know they can't be too annoyed. I just feel like she acts silly and like a 5 year old at home so much that it carries over at school and other places.

I don't even know if it's something I should approach with her or if I should see how this plays out. Surely she will mature at some point.

Quoting elkmomma:

Not sure , but I'd say more grateful and  just a little concerned.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nebcutie
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol i think it is nice they get alnog so well but see why you would be concerned. She will start hanging out with kids eventually and doing stuff her age more often.

Quoting momof2ex1:

I am so grateful we don't have the fighting and sibling drama that normally goes on. But sometimes their closeness kind of annoys me. I hope that doesn't come out wrong. It's just that they are inseparable during waking hours. She is such a big help with him. Helps him to do everything and never fights with him. But I just kind of wonder how normal they are lol. My brother and I were 6 years a part and there is no way in h3ll that we would have ever played together like they do. I started letting her go to sleepovers and letting her ride her bike around the neighborhood in hopes that she would find some other interest but then he cries for her while she is gone. And then they are glued to each other when she comes back. Even when she has friends over they let him hang out. I think that is strange lol

Quoting nebcutie:

elkmomma
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Try a sleep over if you can handle it  LOL  Not sure I could with girls.  My DS is similar and it's fusterating not being sure of or how to help.  I tried having  him invite 3 friend to a back yard camp out.  We roasted dogs on a stick, ate smores, and a bunchof other garbge they HAD to have, played some games, and had a bunch of fun scaring the crap out of them with a movie (pre-OK'd by the parents).  Now he has a couple of good friends.

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM
5 moms liked this
My almost 14 yr old prefers a younger crowd. Right his best friend is his not quite three yr old brother. Even early on like six, I noticed he played with the tots at the park instead of trying to engaged with kids his own age. I asked him about it and his answer was highly sensible.
"The real little kids just want to play. They don't turn on you and call you names, and be mean. They are happy to play with ANYBODY!"
I couldn't out logic that'
My boys are tight as tight can be. Big bro has friend AT school, but they are too busy to come over or meet up or anything. In fact, all birthday parties since third grade has been family only because friends are too busy, yet we make sure to go to thiers. Her brother isn't too busy for her.
I feel certain she has friends.... But just not close ones yet.
GleekingOut
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:02 AM
4 moms liked this

This is the exact same with my 21yo. It was the reason she chose to work in childcare ("I just find little kids so much more interesting and nicer than "old" people") and She's also the type of girl that prefers boys for friends. I got told when she was 10 I needed to squash that immediately and force her to play with girls by my old fashioned mother. When I asked her why she wanted to play with the boys she said "The boys are a lot nicer and less dramatic" (coming from my drama queen! lol). My DD as I said is now 21 and my mother still has a problem with my DD having "dates" with her best friend and staying over at his house to play guitar and watch movies. SMH. My mother also prefers to believe that all her children have only had sex as per the amount of children they have. OP as long as your DD's happy - she's doing well in school and her teachers haven't mentioned anything like Aspergers, or being overly concerned with her maturity I wouldn't worry about it :)

Quoting hollydaze1974:

My almost 14 yr old prefers a younger crowd. Right his best friend is his not quite three yr old brother. Even early on like six, I noticed he played with the tots at the park instead of trying to engaged with kids his own age. I asked him about it and his answer was highly sensible.
"The real little kids just want to play. They don't turn on you and call you names, and be mean. They are happy to play with ANYBODY!"
I couldn't out logic that'
My boys are tight as tight can be. Big bro has friend AT school, but they are too busy to come over or meet up or anything. In fact, all birthday parties since third grade has been family only because friends are too busy, yet we make sure to go to thiers. Her brother isn't too busy for her.
I feel certain she has friends.... But just not close ones yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)