Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Ask the Expert: How to keep your kids learning over the summer - SWEEPS WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

Thank you all for your wonderful questions!  Click here to read Dr. McComb's answers!

Congratulations to our mom, wyomom4 on winning the sweepstakes!

Looking for ways to keep your kid's mind active during summer break?  Worried he might fall behind if he doesn't exercise his brain while relaxing his body?

Let our education expert answer all your questions about summer learning.

Jennifer Sloan McCombs, Ph.D. is is a senior policy researcher at the RAND Corporation, a professor at the Pardee RAND Graduate School, and the author of Making Summer Count: How Summer Programs Can Boost Children's Learning.

Ask Jennifer your questions today and you'll be entered to win $200 to use towards a Sylvan Skills Assessment!  One lucky mom will win!

We are no longer accepting questions for Jennifer.  Please check back soon to read her answers!

Thanks for joining us, Jennifer.

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask the Education Expert giveaway starts 5/9/13 at 4 pm (ET) and ends 5/20/13 at 10 am (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive $200 gift card to use towards a Sylvan Skills Assessment.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 6/10/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

How many minutes should my tween be reading during the summer time?

SweetLuci
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

What special projects would you suggest for a 12 year old, who is in advanced learning classes.

SweetLuci
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

What can I do when we're travelling to incorporate that into learning situations?

mamavalor
by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

How can I help my children improve their spelling skills?

mamavalor
by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My kids are very good at retaining learned information over the summer.  They enjoy school very much and really hate summer when there is no school.  They don't like camps.  What do you think I should do? 

TigerofMu
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

We participate in the Summer Passport To Adventure Museum Program and the Summer Reading Program, and Learning never stops for our family.

wyomom4
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My daughter needs to improve her basic multiplication and division facts. Any suggestions on how to help her remember them other than rote memorization?

alliesmom112
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My dd is in Speech class during the school year. How can I keep her in the habit of speech during the summer while still keeping it fun for her?

alliesmom112
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

my 4 year old is starting Kindergarten in the fall. What are things that I can do to make her te most prepared?

alliesmom112
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

We participate in the Summer Passport To Adventure Museum Program and the Summer Reading Program, and Learning never stops for our family.

that sounds awesome!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)