Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do You Think Victoria's Secret is Trying To Sexualize Tweens?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 9 Replies

Parents Who Think Sexy 'Bright Young Things' Underwear Is Corrupting Tweens Need a Hobby

by Jacqueline Burt

bright young things By now, you've most likely heard all about Victoria's Secret and the "Bright Young Things" controversy. But just in case, here's the CliffsNotes version: Basically, thousands (literally) of "concerned" parents are freaking out over what they believe to be a new lingerie line created by the company with the sole purpose of selling scandalous underwear (panties with the words "I DARE YOU" on the back, etc.) directly to tweens. Indeed, these morally superior matriarchs and patriarchs have started an anti-underpants petition (take THAT, Vicky Secrets!). Among the many, many examples of righteous parental indignation on the petition's website are fears over "sexualizing young women before they are capable of making careful choices about how they will share their bodies and with whom" and accusations of downright "targeting sex to kids." (Huh?) 

As the mother of a tween girl, I guess I'm supposed to share in the collective horror. Hey, nobody targets sex to my kid! (Huh?) But I don't.

I think the whole controversy is absolutely ridiculous. Because not only are these parents misinformed, they're missing the entire point.

First of all, "Bright Young Things" isn't supposed to be an "all-new" line for tweens. "Bright Young Things" is just a spring break-themed offshoot of Victoria's Secret's already incredibly popular PINK division. The company explained as much in a statement, saying:

“Victoria’s Secret PINK is a brand for college-aged women. We have no plans to introduce a collection for younger women.” 

Conservatives are quick to haul out an earlier statement made by Victoria's Secret Chief Financial Officer Stuart Burgdoerfer as proof of their plan to sexualize young girls:

"When somebody’s 15 or 16 years old, what do they want to be? They want to be older, and they want to be cool like the girl in college, and that’s part of the magic of what we do at PINK," he said.

Okay, 15- or 16-year-old girls are NOT tweens. Realistically, they're probably already on birth control. OR they've never even kissed a boy and have no plans to anytime soon but like to wear cute underpants. My almost 12-year-old daughter and her friends love PINK -- but they don't even look at the underwear, they squeal about the sweatpants and t-shirts. I know more MOMS who own PINK panties than I do young girls.

To sum up, if your tween's top priority is shopping for panties with the intent to seduce, it seems to me that how Victoria's Secret is marketing their products would be the least of your concerns.

Do you think Victoria's Secret is trying to sexualize tweens?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KristenLystly
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I think these moms have too much time on their hands. Let girls be girls, it's bras and undies for goodness sakes!!! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SBL4life
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Their just panties and bras. No big deal.

wenchmommy381
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM

If Victoria's Secret is tring to sexualize little girls... they're a little late to the party.

This isn't recent, nor was it hard to find...

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM

eye rollingI guess that I'm cool with sexualizing tweens and teens then.  I went shopping in VS last week with one of my friends and her 16 year old dd.  Her dd was having fun checking out all of the outragious bras with bling on them and talking about how impractical they are.

jessicasmom1
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My teen does not like to shop there .. 

girlsclubmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My teen does not shop there.I think it is kind of sexualized. She has never shown any interest in that store (though many of her friends do shop there or at Pink) - so we have never had the issue.

Bellebean10
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I have to say yes...isn't that the foundation of VS and their marketing strategy? big smile mini

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My 15 year old dd shops there, as do most of here friends.  People get so uptight.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in Target the other day and in all honesty, the Xhilaration Junior's line has very similar panties to those as the VS Pink line.  So why do people scream that VS is sexualizing teens, but don't pitch a fit over the panties at Target?

http://www.target.com/c/panties-intimates-clothing/-/N-5xtcb#navigation=true&Nao=0&viewType=large&sortBy=newest&minPrice=from&maxPrice=to&isleaf=true&navigationPath=5xtcb&parentCategoryId=9975759&facetedValue=/-/N-5xtcbZ5xwsm&RatingFacet=0&productsCount=47&categoryId=4655

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)