Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How to stop kids from repeating things you didn't mean for them to hear

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 4 Replies
Ok my 6 year old daughter is the worlds worst about telling our business and also if I accidently say something around her she will go back and say something about it to the person I was talking about how do I make her understand that sometimes you have to leave what's said in our house in our house?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TheartAH
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
My (now 8 yr old) DD was the same way. Honestly it took a lot of talking to ( we say "don't talk about our family" as a general phrase to remember), threats of telling people stuff about her that she wouldn't want them to know and punishments if she did tell about things that she's not supposed to.
KristenLystly
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
The psychology is petty simple: they know it's something there were not supposed to hear, you may or may not of made a big deal about it, and it's too tempting to spread the word (sorta like adults do!!)

When it happens, play it cool!
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, this is difficult. It's pretty much a conversation of what is said at home STAYS at home. Period. Pull out an embarrassing time she went through and would she want you to share with a friend's parent who said it infront of her friend who then blabbed it in front of kids at lunch? How bad would that be?

I once had a school mate/ church mate whose mother worked with my dad. They chatted at coffee break about a something about me and a physical thing. Two days later he asked me about it infront of a bunch of kids.
I go home, ask how he knew and what happened. Dad let out an expletive and the next day the boy had to call me and apologize to me for talking about it. Too little too late, but he learned a lesson....and my dad certainly did, too.

All I can tell you is turn it around as if it happened to her.
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Talk to her about gossip, and the damage that can be caused telling other people things not meant for them to know.  Explain about privacy and how it is very important to respect others (her family) and that she is causing harm by telling things that aren't hers to tell.  Give examples.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN