Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Home Alone?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
At what age did you allow your child to stay home alone for any period of time? My state had no set age (9 is the general minimum ive heard though) but if something happens while the child is home alone the parent could go to jail for 2+ yrs (depending in severity of incident). What about watching younger siblings?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My older ds was staying alone on Saturdays at age eight because yard saling was torturous for him. He is almost 14 and I MAY let him with my three yr old for an hour ocassionally, but he forgets to do things like ...um EAT himself. There is no way he is mature enough yet to " take care" of lil bro long enough for us to get dinner or yard sale. Some teens can do it, mine cannot .
kerri1205
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Our children are 10 and almost 12.  The oldest is a very responsible child  A couple years ago I started leaving him alone for quick errands and we have lengthened that and started leaving him at home with his brother.  This week during spring break I was able to go to the gym for 2 hours and didn't even get a phone call from them.  We really worked up to that.  Our 10 year old is not near ready to be home alone, has no desire to and is not nearly mature enough to handle it.  I think it really depends on the children.

shashta102
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

10 years old for ~30mins, 11 ~1 hour, and it keeps going up after that depending on there maturity, etc. We allow our dd (11 y/o) to stay alone for up to 2 hours in extreme situations, but we can trust her to know what to do. So it all depends on how well you feel that you can trust your children. But we do not have any other sibliming for her to watch, but she has shown responsibility with our friends 8 y/o that she has watched for ~2 hours.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

We started leaving ds1 home alone for 15-20 mins when he was 10. As he got more comfortable w/ it (and we got more comfortable w/ the idea!), we left him for longer. He did not start watching his brother and sister until he was 13 and had taken a Safe Sitter class. He now watches them frequently, and they really like having him babysit- probably b/c it means they don't get dragged out on errands as much anymore!

I've left ds2, 9, alone for about 10 mins or so when running over to a neighbor's for a min.

jojobean558
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM
My DD is 11, she only get left alone once in awhile for only about no more than an hour. I work late and DH sometimes has doctors appointments that run later than he thinks. She has a house key and a cell phone just in case. We also have a dog but not really sure if he's a watch dog or just company.lol
Amberrosesmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My DD is 11 and she is home for an hr or two at a time on ocassion.  Example is if I am running late from coming home from work and she beats me home from school.  She texts me and calls her dad as soon as she gets in the house and is in constant contact so I feel better about that at least.  We struggled with what age is ok to be home alone.  We also have two huge dogs that will not let anyone in the house and she knows to stay in her room until we get back. 

mommyangel0102
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have just started letting my 11 year old son stay home alone with some strict guidelines to follow.  I am only gone a short period of time though.  He only gets to watch his siblings when I am home and busy with cooking dinner and the like.  He is still immature in some areas so I'm not letting loose of the reins too fast or too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)