Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

My daughter is an extremely picky eater. Need some help.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

I need some food ideas for a child that eats almost nothing. They would need to be recipes with few ingredients. She wont eat anything that has a bunch of stuff mixed together.

She likes chicken and fish. She will eat beef but it isn't her favorite. The only veggies she will eat are grean beans, corn and carrots. The only fruit she will eat is black olives. (i guess black olives are a fruit) She likes breads and cheese.

I just don't know what to do for her. She is 10 years old and weighs 50 lbs. and 52". She refuses to try anything new.  When she does eat it's only a few bites then she says she is full. She would eat junk food all day long if I let her. She gets tired easy and has headaches right often. Doctor said it's probably from not eating enough.

I have thought about putting her in therapy to see if she has some type of eating disorder. I don't know if that will help or make it worse.

Thanks

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ThinkAgainMom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

My daughter, now 11, used to weigh one pound for every inch she was tall for most of her childhood. She has always been very thin. She eats very normally, however. She is just thin.

In the past 2 years she has grown more than 8 inches, is 62.5 inches and weighs almost 90 pounds. She is still 25 percentiles thinner than she is tall, but puberty began and she has grown, a lot. So your daughter's height/weight ratio wouldn't scare me. Is her doctor concerned? It sounds like she likes some healthy foods, she needs to slowly branch out. They say a kid may have to taste something about 7 times before they like it. The fact that she would eat a lot more if you gave her junk food doesn't sound like an eating disorder.  My DS (14) is also in puberty and both kids' tastes have expanded drammatically as their hormones have kicked in.  Things they did not like before, they like now.

Headaches often come from dehydration.  Make sure she is drinking enough.  If you can get her to drink things that have nutrition and calories, you will have a double win.  How about Vanilla Silk Milk? I'd take chocolate milk, even.  Fresh Juices, blended fruit drinks, milk shakes.  Of course water even that's all she'll drink.  I have a neice - now 13 - who has had a number of fainting spells based on dehydration.  She doesn't drink much, hates fruit and likes a few vegetables.  This neice also struggles with anemia (low iron) and periodically has to take iron supplements.  The major symptom is exhaustion.  You may want to have your daughter tested (blood test).  Beef and deep green leafy vegetables are a good source of iron.

Beyond that, I would cook what she will eat - chicken and fish are good.  Then complement that with something she likes and something she doesn't, or hasn't tried.  I would not make eating ANY sort of battle or she may develop an eating disorder in the battle.  At her age, eating needs to be under her control.  You provide the good, healthy food.  They decide what and how much to eat. 

Good luck.

bunnywzrd
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Thank you. We do not fight with her over her eating. I know that is a bad idea and I have NEVER used food as punishment. I have recieved several replies suggesting I do so.

Again thanks for your reply. I will make sure that she is drinking enough. The doctor did not seem concered over her weight. I not really worried about the weight so much as the not eating. It bothers me that she wont eat.

Quoting ThinkAgainMom:

My daughter, now 11, used to weigh one pound for every inch she was tall for most of her childhood. She has always been very thin. She eats very normally, however. She is just thin.

In the past 2 years she has grown more than 8 inches, is 62.5 inches and weighs almost 90 pounds. She is still 25 percentiles thinner than she is tall, but puberty began and she has grown, a lot. So your daughter's height/weight ratio wouldn't scare me. Is her doctor concerned? It sounds like she likes some healthy foods, she needs to slowly branch out. They say a kid may have to taste something about 7 times before they like it. The fact that she would eat a lot more if you gave her junk food doesn't sound like an eating disorder.  My DS (14) is also in puberty and both kids' tastes have expanded drammatically as their hormones have kicked in.  Things they did not like before, they like now.

Headaches often come from dehydration.  Make sure she is drinking enough.  If you can get her to drink things that have nutrition and calories, you will have a double win.  How about Vanilla Silk Milk? I'd take chocolate milk, even.  Fresh Juices, blended fruit drinks, milk shakes.  Of course water even that's all she'll drink.  I have a neice - now 13 - who has had a number of fainting spells based on dehydration.  She doesn't drink much, hates fruit and likes a few vegetables.  This neice also struggles with anemia (low iron) and periodically has to take iron supplements.  The major symptom is exhaustion.  You may want to have your daughter tested (blood test).  Beef and deep green leafy vegetables are a good source of iron.

Beyond that, I would cook what she will eat - chicken and fish are good.  Then complement that with something she likes and something she doesn't, or hasn't tried.  I would not make eating ANY sort of battle or she may develop an eating disorder in the battle.  At her age, eating needs to be under her control.  You provide the good, healthy food.  They decide what and how much to eat. 

Good luck.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Katz33
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I am right there with you. My two boys are very picky eaters. It's hard to introduce veggies and some fruits to their diets. The doctor is saying tothem how important it is for them to eat healthier. He says my recent incorporation of vitamins is not going to offer much help. They need to get more nutrition from the foods they eat. I need some ideas as well. But, here is what I am thinking....Does she like smoothies? It seems the boys love fruits if they are made into a smoothy. I  would recommend using the sugar substitute because they are drawn to it like flies. I am trying to reduce their sugar intake. 

My son also suffers from headaches because he is definitely not eating enough. He goes to school and skip the meals they serve and comes home starving. It seems at he and his brother eats foods with bbq sauce all over it. But, what I have discovered lately, is that they will try to eat the green beans, broccoli, and carrots if it is mixed in a very flavorful rice. Yet, this technique has a short life.

I'm afraid to say it, but the only resort that exists right now that I am totally aware of is the old fashioned technique. That is keep all snacks and goodies away until they clean their veggies. Hey, it worked for me just this week.

If you have any additional ideas...I would love to hear it.big smile mini

sharon0915
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
My granddaughter is the same way. She eats nothing but preztels goldfish potato chips. Occasionally some chicken nuggets. Pasta she will eat with butter and parmesan cheese. She complains of stomach aches all the because she is probably hungry but refuses to eat. If you figure out or hear of any tricks to get your daughter to eat real food let me know.
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Does she like jello? You can hide all kinds of good stuff in jello. You can blend up fruits and veggies and replace some of the water with that, you can use juice instead of water, etc. Our rule is that the kids need to eat at least one bite of each thing. Sometimes its just that they aren't used to the food and it takes a few times for them to adjust and then they usually like it. We also have a no junk food until you finish your real food rule. If they don't finish their dinner, they don't snack in the evening. It works for me. Also, try having her help prepare meals. Sometimes kids are more likely to eat something that they made or helped make. Mine aren't really picky at all, but I've worked with a lot of kids who are. Eating isn't an option, but what they eat is somewhat negotiable. You might also try several small meals each day instead of three bigger meals, and make sure that there are always healthy snacks available.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

My dd has SPD which means she has issues with certain foods. She won't eat ANY beef at all. She eats PB and Nutella sandwiches, Chicken(certain kinds-mostly fast food), salads (simple made) cheese, and pasta (no meat, no sauce).  For lunches and dinner at home she'll usually have what I call chicken taco. Take a soft tortilla fill it with cut up (mini cubed) chicken (we use Oscar mayer Deli chunk chicken-oven roasted flavor) fill it with shredded lettuce, shredded chees, voila  lunch or dinner. For lunch at school-insulated thermos with Popcorn Chicken from Walmart, single size dorotos, Entenman's Brownie bites.  DD will also eat Ramen noodles(chix flavor only), and Mac and cheese, nothing with Beef or pork. Salads are shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, some grapes or mandarin oranges in it.  breakfast is frozen Pancakes (Eggo) or Krave cereal, Kix, Cheerios, Rice Krispies.  We've just kinda learned to live with it. I also usually give her PediaSure chocolate shkes to get whatever she's missing with the other foods. She's not much on ANY vegetables..certainly nothing GREEN!

mamavalor
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Reading Green Eggs and Ham helped my kids open up to trying new foods.  They don't have to like it as long as they tried it.  A nibble is all I ask.  Reintroducing foods is good, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)