Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

My 6th grade son has been having suicidal thoughts. It would help me to talk to other moms coping with this similar issue

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kerri1205
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I am so glad that you ae aware that he is having these thoughts and that you can now help him throuh it.  I have no advice other than to get him in to talk to a professional about it.  My youngest once mentioned wanting a gun to blow his brains out so he would never feel that way again (he has SPD and severe anxiety).  He was 7 then and we immediately started therapy for him.  Until then, just keep him talking with you about things that are bothering him.  I will pray for him.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Get him into therapy asap. And keep letting him know he can talk to you about anything w/o being judged.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I agree, he needs therapy ASAP.  My oldest son has severe anxiety and we were told that he would most likely become suicidal without therapy.  He is 12 and hasn't had any suicidal thought or tendencies, he still sees his therapist once a week though.

OvrMyHead
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My son is 12 and had suicidal thoughts last year.  His psych started him on prozac.  It also helped with his anxiety.  He is doing well.  Also I try to get him to do more physical excercise, that helps.

Amberrosesmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My DD is 11 1/2 and we have recently encountered a similar situation.  Except my DD is bullied at school and it becomes too much for her.  She drew a pic of "someone" cutting there wrists in school.  No idea how she even knew about something like that.  Definitely not what we watch at home.  Talking to her often about how she is feeling and letting her know she can talk to us about anything really seems to make it better for her.  We do not have her seeing a therapist yet.  Feel free to pm if you want to talk at all.

Marie

lazyd
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM

my almost 11yo son is the same way.  He has adhd/odd/severe anxiety.  He is bullied at school, he hates himself and when the kids tease him at school or the kids start being mean to him at home (when they are playing basketball outside), he will get the ax that we have in the garage and threaten himself or the neighborhood kids!  He is in weekly therapy, but im also going to see if we can increase the zoloft that he is on.  He is on the lowest dose, but it is not helping him with his anxiety and coping skills.  My son just can not effectively communicate his feelings well, without going overboard.

amyjean2001
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
When I was a young girl (about the same age as your son)I also had thoughts of suicide, my parents were divorced and I just felt alone. I was also being bullied at school and felt I had no one to talk to, my mom found my suicide note and started me on therapy ASAP.

I definitely would suggest getting him to a therapist, but also make sure he knows u r there for him, let him know u love him and that u will always be there for him. If he is being bullied at school, let him know that he can talk to u and u will do whatever it takes to make sure he is safe and do what u can to stop it. If u need to talk u can PM me and I will try and answer any questions and give as much info and support as I can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wolfgirlbec
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My dd is currently in the hospital -in the mental/psych -ward for the 4th time in a 3 yr period for just that reason,as well as cuttting herself and using an eraser to rub a patch of skin raw.She has depression,anxiety d/o,PDD-nos,possible ocd & possible asperger syndrome.She recieves regular therapy & we are looking into a support group not only to help her(and us),but also for her to meet others who are going thru what she is going thru.When she first came to us three years ago with these thoughts,at first,we just tried to watch her closely and get her into therapy but it turns out she needed more than that and she actually requested that we take her to the hospital! So we did & never had to take her again-for 3 years anyway,but she is getting the help that she needs & it's a 'one day at a time' thing. I hope that,whether you choose to just go with therapy,hospitalization,or both,your son will get the help he needs and feel more "stable" and "in control". I am finding out that,as hard as it is,there is only so much we can do as parents when it comes to situations like this...puppyI wish you and your ds the very best of luck.Stay strong mama & know you're not alone!!! 

janomoma
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

my dd has anxiety and has been bullied so bad we had to change schools....i started giving her b vitamins more exercise...keeping a.journal...talking to therapist...yoga and massage...cut back on computor/video games...best wishes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN