Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids in the summer--HELP please

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi Ladies...I have 3 kids --11, 12, 13.  They really are not interested and almost just too big for camp.  My husband and I work full time too.  What are some suggestions of what you do with your kids in the summer????  I am totally at a loss of what to do, how to entertain them, how to find ideas of where to take them, especially when I will have to work most of the 2 months time!  Thank you!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Does your county conservation district have camps? Boy or Girl Scout camps? I would sign them up anyway. They might learn something. As long as they are with kids the same age, it gives them something to do other than tv and videogames.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I can't help, my kids (almost 13 and 8) are going to camp. They can't wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
My twins are 11 turning 12 this summer. We both work full time also. Usually we do full day camp almost all summer but like you we are outgrowing it.

This summer they are doing some of the full day camps but I've also put in a few weeks of half day camps. I'm coming home at lunch to pick them up from camp and drop them off at the house.

I'm sure they will spend most of there time on something electronic but since they are out of the house for half the day I don't mind so much.

What are your options for transportation? If they can't walk, take a bus or have another parent/grandparent pick them up I don't see that you have a lot of choices. Either they go to camp or they stay at home, or a combination of the two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Forgot to add.

If they do stay at home come up with a list of chores they can do to help around the house. There ought to be something they can do to be helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennseb
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

There are not a lot of day camps in my neighborhood and my husband and I are not able to pick them up for a half day....I like the chores at home idea if I have no other options.  Thanks for the ideas!

GleekingOut
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly - if you *CAN* find a day camp for them - sign them up. I don't think that they should be at home all day everyday alone. They could get into anything.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM

My kids are 11, 14, 15, and 16. They all have activites to do, sports, clubs, things like that that go on during the summer as well, and then they each have a camp for a few days. DH and I both work. Other than what the kids have, they're home on their own, or go to friends houses.

TheartAH
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Could you get a nanny to come half days or at least a couple of times per week? Some college students are off during summer or maybe a neighbor. A nanny might be able to get them out of the house to the movies, swim lessons (whatever they like to do) and provide some supervision during the day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would find a HS/college student to hang with them a few days a week.  I would also sign them up for some sort of activity as well as have chores for them to do.  Kids still need some structure, even when they are on break from school.

Jennseb
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

How would I find a college student looking to do something like that? I like that idea...thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)