Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Can I just skip the tween years all together?

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 8, so technicially not a tween yet, but he sure is beginning to act like one.

First of all I have since noticed a bit more sass to his tone when talking to me. Uh, okay kid, let's dial down that tone. I have a handle on that. It is not a problem because I quickly correct him, but the one thing I cannot fix....

His little boy smell is changing!! OMG, when he would play outside and get sweaty, he would smell like all little boys. Kind of like a wet dog...hahah
But NOW, he has a decided odor to him. I have noticed it the last couple of weeks. It isn't full on funkiness, but instead a subtle change. He is getting a little musty.  He of course is excited because he cannot wait to wear deodorant. This coming from the kid who I have to force to take a shower, yet he wants deordorant. Sigh

At what age did you notice your kids 'funkiness?'

Were they excited about the prospect of wearing deordorant?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SweetLuci
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh mama, I feel for you. I went through that. I'm not sure at what age it started, but it's different for different boys. Yes, they wanted to use deodorant. I told them they had to show me that they were mature enough for it. That they were bathing and shampooing every day. (we made a chart) Then we made a big deal of him going with his dad to pick out the deodorant he wanted. It's sad becvause you know your little boy is growing up. You'll probably also notice that he doesn't want to be hugged or kissed and doesn't want to be close to you physically.He will realize that you have breasts...and the thought of that is just too weird.  Good luck. You'll get through it...and then the teen years will come.

TigerofMu
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My 12 year old just started shaving her arm pits.  She kept telling me she needed to and I kept saying Oh no, I'm sure not...and then one day I saw these hairy little patches!  I got her a razor and gave her the instructional talk the next morning. 

My 11 and 12 year olds are both a little stinky and need to shower more often.  I think my ten year old is starting to as well.  I know she's not a tween, but my 16 year old almost needs to shower twice a day!

momofsixangels
by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

My older girls started shaving at about 12.They all wore deodorants at around age 10.Maybe get him some wash like axe or something that he would like

louannwilkins
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL  I laugh when I read what you write about the tone of voice and the smell!!  Ahh...how I remember that!!  It would be nice to skip it but sadly....you won't.   Hang in there.  It won't last forever.   :)

Reina13
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I like the chart idea as well as the deodorant shopping. Thanks for the tips!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Oh mama, I feel for you. I went through that. I'm not sure at what age it started, but it's different for different boys. Yes, they wanted to use deodorant. I told them they had to show me that they were mature enough for it. That they were bathing and shampooing every day. (we made a chart) Then we made a big deal of him going with his dad to pick out the deodorant he wanted. It's sad becvause you know your little boy is growing up. You'll probably also notice that he doesn't want to be hugged or kissed and doesn't want to be close to you physically.He will realize that you have breasts...and the thought of that is just too weird.  Good luck. You'll get through it...and then the teen years will come.

mjimaging
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM
DD has been smelly for quite some time. She showers and wears deodorant but I just don't know why she is still smelly. So I know what your talking about with that one.
wandep
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My son is 9 years old. Yes he was excited about wearing deordorant. LOL If I can just get him to clean his room up I'd be a happy mom. LOL  Oh and the bathroom is horrible smelling! He is the only one that uses the upstairs bathroom. My daughter comes down and uses the downstairs guest bathroom and our bathroom to take a shower. She is 7 years old. LOL

akgrear
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Ours was 9 or 10. My husband tried giving him Ax body spray....bad, bad, bad idea, lol. We pretty much had to vacate our townhouse at the time. He uses deoderant now, not regularly like he should but sometimes with ours getting him to shower properly is the goal.

hotmama83227
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

mine were 9 yrs old, yes they WERE excited and now at 11 yrs i have to remind them constantly...yuck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)