Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the law says....

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

what? is there a law where you live that tells you how old a child has to be to stay home alone? how old is old enough? if i left my 11 yr old home alone, for lets say....an hour, would that be okay? i mean if rules were set.

what rules do you have for leaving your tweens home alone? if you do?

mine would be

no answering the door

no looking out the window

keep everything locked

stay inside only

by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Before leaving a child home alone, you need to check with your local authorities to ensure that there aren't any local or county laws on the books in this matter.  Most states don't have laws on the books.

IMO, maturity is a much better indicator of when a child is able to be home alone.  I wouldn't start out with an hour either, start with 10-15 minutes and slowly work your way up to an hour.

Other than the rules you have listed, you also need to ensure that your child knows what to do in an emergency.  Who do they call?  Where do they go if they have to leave the house?  Do they have a way to get in touch with you?   Also, are they permitted to answer the phone?  How about using appliances, which ones?  What about the tv, internet, video games?  Can they have friends over?

TheartAH
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
There is no set age for leaving a child home alone in my state. However if something happens to them while you are gone that means that they were not mature enough and you will be going to jail for child endangerment. 9 is the youngest age recommended here.
Dd is not there yet but those would be my rules also.
hotmama83227
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

well i looked it up for my state, there are no laws. my 11 yr olds are pretty mature as in they know how to use the stove, phone, contact me, emergency stuff. I'm just a paranoid mom lol. and one of my older kids HATES going shopping with me...has lately been BEGGING me to let him stay home. i just wanted to know what the general mom rule for that was.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Before leaving a child home alone, you need to check with your local authorities to ensure that there aren't any local or county laws on the books in this matter.  Most states don't have laws on the books.

IMO, maturity is a much better indicator of when a child is able to be home alone.  I wouldn't start out with an hour either, start with 10-15 minutes and slowly work your way up to an hour.

Other than the rules you have listed, you also need to ensure that your child knows what to do in an emergency.  Who do they call?  Where do they go if they have to leave the house?  Do they have a way to get in touch with you?   Also, are they permitted to answer the phone?  How about using appliances, which ones?  What about the tv, internet, video games?  Can they have friends over?

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Have you checked with your local authorities to see if the city or county have any laws regarding children staying home alone?  As I stated before, most states don't have laws for this, they leave that decision up to the local authorities.

There is no "general mom rule" on this subject since there are so many variables that go into making this decision.  If you are looking for someone to give you permission to leave your son home alone, then I would suggest not doing it.  You most likely aren't ready.

Quoting hotmama83227:

well i looked it up for my state, there are no laws. my 11 yr olds are pretty mature as in they know how to use the stove, phone, contact me, emergency stuff. I'm just a paranoid mom lol. and one of my older kids HATES going shopping with me...has lately been BEGGING me to let him stay home. i just wanted to know what the general mom rule for that was.

Quoting steelcrazy:

hotmama83227
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

you are probably right, i asked a school social worker, she said usually 10 yrs old but they leave it up to the parents to decide when the child is ready....my child probably is but i am far from it lol i'll just hold off a few more years lol

Quoting steelcrazy:

Have you checked with your local authorities to see if the city or county have any laws regarding children staying home alone?  As I stated before, most states don't have laws for this, they leave that decision up to the local authorities.

There is no "general mom rule" on this subject since there are so many variables that go into making this decision.  If you are looking for someone to give you permission to leave your son home alone, then I would suggest not doing it.  You most likely aren't ready.

Quoting hotmama83227:

Quoting steelcrazy:

wandep
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I have been wondering about this too.

momofsixangels
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I was told that as long they can  dial 911 and feed themselves they could be home alone

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

You do need to check w/ your local authorities to see what the town/county laws are.

After that, it depends on your comfort level and the maturity of the child. I didn't leave ds1 home alone until he was 10, and that was only about 30 mins max, but I've left ds2 home alone for about 15 mins at 9 y/o- he's just more mature at 9 than ds1 was. I did not leave ds1 home alone w/ any siblings until he was 12, but he's been babysitting them for a few hrs ever since he was 13 and took a Safe Sitter course. Ds2 has actually told me he prefers spending time w/ his big brother as a babysitter b/c he's nicer- firm and in charge, but less annoying and willing to play what ds2 and dd want : )

Rules: Do not answer the door (ds1 can if it's someone they know- usually it's friends of ds2 and dd- but is not to tell dh and I are not home).

No playing outside (if ds1 is babysitting, ds2 and dd can go over to friends' houses on our street)

Say dh and I are busy if asked for on the phone and take a message

AML5577
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I looked up that information in our area when I needed to work and had no one to be with the oldest two for an hour or so. Apparently, in our area, there are no real rules - they just go on "best judgement". I have full confidence of my 14 year old to be with my 10 year old, but not the 10 year old by herself quite yet.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

princezlisa12
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My dd is able to stay home by herself for a limited amount of time.  She gets off the bus and comes home, being alone maybe 20 minutes max.  She knows that she is suppose to call or text me when she gets home.  The door remains locked and she only opens it for our neighbor, my mom (who has a key if need be) or myself.  She will be 11 this summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)