Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do You Agree With This Schools Ban?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 18 Replies

School Bans Strapless Dresses for all the Wrong Reasons

by April Daniels Hussar Friday at 7:19 PM

strapless dressA New Jersey middle school made the news recently for banning strapless dresses at its upcoming 8th grade dance, which apparently put some parents into an uproar. I agree that it might be hard to find dresses these days that aren't strapless, but too bad! I had to sew straps on to my own 8th grade dance dress (and walk uphill while doing it!); so can today's girls.

I do, however, take real issue with the outright dangerous explanation of the ban:

A parent says when she complained, the Readington school principal told her strapless dresses are "too distracting" to the boys. Um, what?!

The dress code is completely reasonable. Girls of 12 and 13 don't need to be wearing strapless dresses; that style is too grown-up, and there's plenty of time for that. You might disagree with me, but dress codes have to draw their lines somewhere, and it's up to parents to support those lines. But the reasoning behind ANY dress code should be ONLY about be just that -- what is and isn't age-appropriate for a school setting. Strapless dresses aren't appropriate for young girls, just like wearing a bathing suit to school is inappropriate for boy and girls alike, and it's not appropriate for a boy to show up to a school dance in shorts and a muscle shirt.

It's NOT, however, OK to say girls can't wear strapless dresses because that style is "too distracting" to the boys. There is a direct line from that kind of idiotic thinking to people blaming a rape victim for dressing provocatively. Boys are perfectly capable of controlling themselves when they see a -- gasp! -- bare shoulder. Give them some credit! Banning strapless dresses so boys don't get too sex-crazed is insulting -- and damaging -- to both the girls AND the boys. The emphasis of lessons on social interactions (which after all is what a dance is all about, really) needs to be on the importance of controlling your OWN behavior and having respect for each other, no matter what someone might be wearing.

Do you agree with the school on this one?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole-momof4
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I think I would disagree with it. Especially with that reason!
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree with the ban either, their reasoning seems silly.  I never realized that shoulders that didn't have at least a thin little spaghetti strap would be distracting to boys. *shakes head*  I'm thinking the only way to make a girl unnoticable to teenage boys would be to dress her in a very loose and baggy dress made of potato sacks that covers her completely from chin to toe.  And even that isn't a guarantee.  lol

louannwilkins
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I don't know how I feel about it really.  I don't see how it will tone the boys horomones down either way.  lol  It's all about what is going on in the heads right now and they're growing up and have all kinds of feelings.  

mjimaging
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I don't agree with reasoning but I've heard of it before.
abra
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I disagree with the ban. I think parents need to teach their sons not to see women as opportunities regardless of how they are dressed. But we live in a day and age where parents aren't very involved anymore. It's sad. 

SweetLuci
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

While I don't agree with the reasoning, I think they're just using that instead of saying they're afraid there will be more exposure than they want. I think they have a right to enforce standards.

TigerofMu
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I love that they aren't allowing strapless dresses for such young girls, but I think they should do so because they aren't age appropriate.

momofsixangels
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with it. Really with all the drugs,teen pregnancy and guns they worry about a dress?

Zamaria
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Hmmm. I agree that strapless isn't appropriate for that age. I wonder what exactly they think the boys will be distracted from at a dance though? It's not like they are supposed to be concentrating on anything in particular at a dance. That's silly. Also, I have noticed that 8th grade girls in my son's school have been very "distracted" by the football team walking around shirtless after practice, so maybe they should ban that too. (that was said sarcastically) honestly, I think the boys will be "distracted" by the girls whether their dresses have straps or not. I doubt that a tiny spaghetti strap will prevent their "distraction." again, I do think strapless is inappropriate for this age, but they should have just said that instead of making it about "distraction." lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the strapless dress. The one above is fine. If the dress shows clevage then not fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN