Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would you be upset about a shooting drill at your child's school?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 20 Replies

I read this stir article about a 'shooting drill' at an Oregon school. Basically, during a teacher meeting, two masked gunmen wearing hoodies burst in carrying guns and began shooting. It was a drill that the teachers had no idea about. It was supposed to be a drill to determine their readiness in case of a real life situation.

Im not sure if students were present at school during the time it happened.

Would you be upset by this type of drill at your child's school? Would it make a difference to you if it was done after hours?

Do you think this is the right way to go about readiness training?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wyomom4
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I would be upset. Doesn't matter if kids are present or not. Terror teaches nothing.

CatFishMom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Oh, hell no. When I read your heading I was thinking like a fire drill, you know-alarm goes off, everyone files out sort of thing, (not that thats what you would do in a shooting, just pointing out that fire drills are calm and 'orderly'. Obviously a shooting drill would have different requirements) it's not a panicked event. That? Masked gunmen bursting in and start shooting? Absolutely not, thats not even remotely okay. That will seriously traumatize people! And not just students, my god, if I was a teacher in that room, I would be so freaked out it's not even funny! It would be one thing if it had been preannounced but to spring it on them like it was real? No, not even remotely okay.

louannwilkins
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think having drills for it might be necessary but NOT in this way.  I would be upset.

nebcutie
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
My dd school had one but they did not send in fake gunmen and not tell them. Kids or no kids i would be pissed that the school thought it was ok to treat the teachers that way.
Zamaria
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Well I wouldn't be mad about a drill, as long as the kids knew it was a drill and the people weren't masked. But unexpected with masked men? No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princezlisa12
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Oh wow...I'm sure that terrified the teachers.  I think that drill was over the line.  I know at my DD's school, they have an emergency drill they call Code Red, where imminent danger is in the building and the kids hide.  I think it's so sad that this kind of drill is necessary now.

TigerofMu
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I don't think that is the right way to prepare people.  I think that is a good way to make people quit.

TigerofMu
by on May. 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I didn't mean that you should do that to get people to quit, I just meant I would not want to work in that school environment.  Drills are one thing, but that is uncalled for.

GarysWife1991
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

We've never had a shooting drill but they do lockdown drills which I'm ok with. 

dtm1491
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I hope they are willing to pay the teacher's counseling bills for nightmares. That was excessive. I agree with lock down drills. Not masked men running in a room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)