Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Books about puberty

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

The Care and Keeping of You is a great book by American Girl. They now have it in two versions. Younger girls (starting at age 8) and older girls.

With all-new illustrations and updated content for girls ages 8 and up, it features tips, how-tos, and facts from the experts. You'll find answers to questions about your changing body, from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bras, periods to pimples, and everything in between. Once you feel comfortable with what's happening, you'll be ready to move on to the The Care & Keeping of You 2

What books have you found helpful?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

TFS! I never used a book just experience

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha...just mentioned that book in the 12 yo talk post.

DD is 10 so I am not sure if I want to start with book 1 or go right to 2.
louannwilkins
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Haven't used books in a long long time so thanks for these!!  I will be getting these when the time is right   :)

abra
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Isn't that something girls should be learning from their mothers and boys from their fathers?

SweetLuci
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Many parents find it difficult to talk to their kids about this and don't know how to start the conversation. This book, and others like it, are a big help. I've always talked to mine, (and I talked to my boys as well as the girl). We read the book together, and she would often ask me questions. She was 8 when I gave it to her, and she didn't start her period until she was 12. She often referred back to it. This book has been a tradition in my extended family. All my now-grown nieces had it, and told me it really helped them to have information in book form. Most bookstores carry it, as do most libraries. When your kids get to the tween age, you really should check it out. I think you'll like it.

Quoting abra:

Isn't that something girls should be learning from their mothers and boys from their fathers?

TwinSoccerMom
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree. It is a great conversation starter. My DD really liked the book a lot. She read it, talked to me about things she read and she would refer back to it frequently. I suspect that she will be buying it if she has a daughter someday. It made her feel comfortable about the changes she was going through and reinforced the information that I gave her.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Many parents find it difficult to talk to their kids about this and don't know how to start the conversation. This book, and others like it, are a big help. I've always talked to mine, (and I talked to my boys as well as the girl). We read the book together, and she would often ask me questions. She was 8 when I gave it to her, and she didn't start her period until she was 12. She often referred back to it. This book has been a tradition in my extended family. All my now-grown nieces had it, and told me it really helped them to have information in book form. Most bookstores carry it, as do most libraries. When your kids get to the tween age, you really should check it out. I think you'll like it.

Quoting abra:

SweetLuci
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

That's exactly what my niece told me, that she's going to get it for her now toddler-age daughter when she's older!

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I completely agree. It is a great conversation starter. My DD really liked the book a lot. She read it, talked to me about things she read and she would refer back to it frequently. I suspect that she will be buying it if she has a daughter someday. It made her feel comfortable about the changes she was going through and reinforced the information that I gave her.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting abra:

TigerofMu
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I think that's a good one!
abra
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I've already talked to my girls about this (ages 4 and 7). They ask me questions when they think of them. I just think its better to trust your mom then a book.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting abra:

majmrmc
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Have ordered this and I am waiting for its arrival.  I plan on reading thru it first before I give it to my girl!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)