Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Young is too young? Poll

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let YOUR DD wait for the bus by herself at 7:30 AM?

Options:

Sure.. shes old enough

Not quite yet

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

DS 1 is graduating K today. DD 1 is ten and is fininshing 4th grade. DS is done with school as of today, DD is supposed to go until Friday. Also have DS 2 who is 5 months old. DH says send her all week, I say its silly to wake up both the boys and send DD to school. Her average this year is in the mid to high 90's BUT she has missed almost 20 days due to having broken leg and not being able to walk on it and dr appts for re-visits and such. DH says DD is old enough to get herself up, dressed and out the door to school by herself while the boys sleep (he works until 1:30AM and would be on the sofa and ready to help if she has issues but she will have to walk 20 houses and wait for the bus on her own). I say No way. so. Moms? Thoughts? Is she old enough?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wallace0521
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM

ETA: its not a main street she is waiting on but a 3 street intersection with a 3 way stop sign. She WOULD need to cross our street and its a Yellow board of ed provided bus with no bus aide

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

She should be fine. Ask her how she feels about it

wallace0521
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

she doesnt think its fair she has to go at all lol!

Tallmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM
My 4th grader still needs to be waken to get up and get ready for school so I am jealous if that is one of your options :)
I would take her myself and wait w her if she has to take the bus
louannwilkins
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

She's probably old enough but you know at the same time if she hasn't been having to do this it will be a big adjustment.  Maybe you should just talk to her and try it out.  See how it goes.  Be sure to let us know.  It's so hard being a parent at times and I'm sure you're nervous about it.  Hugs to you    :)

TigerofMu
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn't be comfortable, but I guess that's me.  Why do you have to get the boys up if he is on the sofa, sleeping?  Couldn't you walk to the bus with her and then come back?

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would.There are a lot of kids that take the bus and they get picked up  in front of our subdivision

wallace0521
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I leave for work at 5:30 and wouldn't be home. There's no issue if I am home but usually I m working
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Ya. My 4 yr old did all year. She will be 5 in July.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM
In our area, no way in hell.

If we lived further out in the country, or in a nicer area, I would let my DD.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)