Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

middle school - team and twins

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 21 Replies

My twin girls are starting middle school next year.  It's a very large school.  (500 kids per grade) They divide the grades into teams of 100 kids.  Each of these teams has 4 teachers for each of the core classes. The classes are  assigned by level.  All of this is very complicated to me.  I'm hoping this makes sense.

Another parent of older children that went through the school already mentioned that a friend of hers who has twins requested they be on the same team after the first year b/c dealing with 8 teachers was too much.

Since there are 100 kids per team and mine tend to be at different levels for some subjects I don't think they will be in all of the same classes.  Being in a couple of classes together is okay.  We've done the different class thing all through middle school. 

Anyone out there with twins who have been though something similar with middle school?  I'm trying to think of the pros and cons.  At the moment all I can think of are the pros.

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I have two boys in back to back grades. Pinole middle divides in to houses. Stanford, Harvard, Cal State, and something else. Both oy boyars in diff houses (Stanford and Harvard). And so far it isn't so bad. My problem is we cannot choose a class from various houses, like when were in school. But for my sons iep I'm going to fight that.
Roo1234
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM

A lot of time those "teams' are divided by abilites and academic levels so that the classes are teaching to kids who are all about the same rather than having so much academic diversity for the teachers.  Unless the kids are very similar in abilities, I probably would just roll with their assignments and keep a chart at home of who has what teacher.

louannwilkins
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm sorry I don't have twins but hopefully you'll get some good advice here.   :)

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Roo,

I got the impression that their are levels within the teams not that the teams are levels themselves.  My girls aren't at the same level with ability.  That's why I don't think they will be in the same classes even if they are on the same team.

Then again.  I could be wrong I've never done this before. What do I know.

craftyzenmom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Will there be animosity between the girls if one of them knows the other one is in a "higher" level than the other one? My personal experience with this came from splitting our twin boys apart for the gifted program a few years back. While both boys are gifted Anthony tested into the specific type of program the school district offered. We chose to send him there. We sent his brother to the charter school centered around music and art, his areas of excellence. In retrospect, while I still think it was the best decision at the time it was tough for everyone. I cannot tell you the number of time I have had to tell them that everyone learns differently and has their own leaning style. We even did the learning style tests to show them where each one was drastically different. We homeschool now so it's a non-issue most of the time. Good luck.....

Blestmomof3
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I had two kids in middle school but in separate grades, and although we had about 8 teachers between them, you didn't really have to deal with them all, just the one or two that might have your child for a subject they struggle with.  I think if I had twins, they would be treated as individuals and put into the classes that are appropriate to their level.  No sense in keeping one back from their potential or pushing the other too hard.

mjande4
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I would agree with this.  It would be no different then having 2 kids in back to back grades.  I have kids in elementary, middle, and high school.  By middle school, you shouldn't be contacting the teachers.  It's the kid's job to keep up with their grades.  There may be one or two along the way, but essentially it's their responsibility.  You need to treat your kids as individuals, not as a pair.

Quoting Blestmomof3:

I had two kids in middle school but in separate grades, and although we had about 8 teachers between them, you didn't really have to deal with them all, just the one or two that might have your child for a subject they struggle with.  I think if I had twins, they would be treated as individuals and put into the classes that are appropriate to their level.  No sense in keeping one back from their potential or pushing the other too hard.

wandep
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Sorry, I don't but have known a few younger kids in my daughter's classes that have had twins and they always did separate classes for them. Maybe call and talk to the office staff at the school and see what they suggest?

celestegood
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonderful advice.

Quoting mjande4:

I would agree with this.  It would be no different then having 2 kids in back to back grades.  I have kids in elementary, middle, and high school.  By middle school, you shouldn't be contacting the teachers.  It's the kid's job to keep up with their grades.  There may be one or two along the way, but essentially it's their responsibility.  You need to treat your kids as individuals, not as a pair.

Quoting Blestmomof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I am sure they will seperate them anyway. Good luck op.

Quoting wandep:

Sorry, I don't but have known a few younger kids in my daughter's classes that have had twins and they always did separate classes for them. Maybe call and talk to the office staff at the school and see what they suggest?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN