Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dad Turns His Kid In to Cops for Crime Spree: Would You?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

Dad Turns His Kid In to Cops for Crime Spree: Would You?

by Jeanne Sager

arrestedCops investigating a series of break-ins at some Florida schools got a break in the case they probably weren't expecting. One of the four kids responsible came to them ... with his stepdad leading the way. Yes, in 2013, a father turned in his own kid (and prompted the arrest of three of the kid's buddies) for stealing.

Can I get a hell yeah for Dad? Four kids, ages 10 to 14, are now facing some real punishment for an ill-advised alleged crime spree through their local school buildings.

There were other options here.

This stepdad could have sat his son down for a talk about how "stealing is bad, m'kay?" and they could have hugged it out and sung Kumbaya. It would be very 2013.

He could have called up the schools and played Let's Make a Deal, bartering the stolen goods for some slap on the wrist.

Or -- and let's face it, some parents would do this -- he could have ignored his gut, pretended those items magically appeared in his kid's bedroom.

He could have done any and all of those. But he didn't. He called the cops. As he told a local paper:

The little ones need to learn that you can't steal and you can't lie.

Truer words are rarely spoken. Maybe I impress easily, or maybe I've just seen too many helicopter parents making all the wrong choices, making things too easy for their kids ... and teaching them nothing in the long run.

But parents taking a hard line like this are to be commended. You do your kid a greater service in the long run if you take these matters seriously, and dole out serious consequences.

It's not pleasant to think of your kid as a thief. It's even more unpleasant to think of them tangling with cops. But what this dad did was stop his kid short, show him that bad behavior will not be acceptable.

As parents, that's our job. We need to teach our kids that bad behavior won't get them anywhere in life. Fixing the problem for them doesn't teach that; if anything, it does the opposite. It sets them up for a life of screw-ups, with the expectation that someone will make it right for them.

The four kids in this case -- 10 through 14 -- are still young enough that they have time to learn, time to be guided back to the straight and narrow path we all want our kids to fallow.

What this stepfather did was risky. His stepson could end up hating him, his wife could hate him, who knows. But at the end of the day, he did the right thing.

Would you do the same?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Yes... Yes I would
abra
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yes. 

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

No doubt-yes I would

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
This

Quoting momofsixangels:

No doubt-yes I would

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Yes I would.
GleekingOut
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I would yes. But I would be extremely annoyed if my DH did this to his stepdaughter (my daughter) without my prior knowledge. I would obviously tell him to go right ahead and do it - but I would want to be aware of the situation before he took her to the police.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Yes i would.

I turn my kids in as well as any of my family members kids, my neighbors kids etc......If I had no doubt in my mind they were guilty 100% I would.

With my own kids, I would actually try to get them to turn themselves in. If they didnt want to I would still do it. But I think the best route at that young age would be to talk to them first and try to get them to see the wrong 100% and to feel the guilt inside over it.

Kids usually know its wrong, but I wouldnt want my child to be one of those kids who dont feel guilt, or it will be pointless talking to them. If that makes sense? lol

proud_mommy35
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My ds was 7 when we walked out of a grocery store and just as we were getting into the car he pulled a pack of gum from his fisted hand,I asked where he got the gum and he told me,I told him that is stealing and it's wrong,that we had to go back into the store and tell the manager,we did and ds said he was sorry while the manager thanked me for bringing the gum and my ds back into the store,that it happens all the time and parents just turn the other cheek,I proceeded to tell my ds the importance of honesty and never to take without asking or paying for it as well as the consequences for breaking the law,so yes,if my children ever break the law,I would walk them to the police myself,until then,I will continue to enforce the rights and wrongs of everyday life choices

TigerofMu
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I would.
lazyd
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I will turn my kids in if they do anything wrong, including and especially murder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)