Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

11 1/2 year old with sudden bald spot

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was out this evening with frtiend having dinner, when my son leaned over and I noticed he has a pretty big bald spot on his head. He said he bumped his head pretty hard at VBS yesterday and he had a scap on the spot,but it wasn't raised. What could have caused such sudden hair loss in someone so young?

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM

ringworm?

catngabsmom
by Erica on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

alopecia?

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Well I guess if he bumped it and had a scab there it may have just scraped the hair off, or maybe some of the hair got caught in whatever he bumped it on and just got pulled out. That could cause the scab without making a bump. I would wait a week or so and see what it looks like then, and check his head every day or two to see if there are more spots or the spot he has is getting bigger. If you're worried in the meantime, you could use a shampoo with tea tree oil, or just dilute some tea tree oil in some grape seed oil and apply it directly to the spot. That'll prevent infection, and if it does happen to be ringworm the tea tree oil will take care of it without hurting his scalp. Athlete's foot cream will also get rid of ringworm, but I don't know how it would affect his scalp and regrowth of his hair in the bald spot, so I'd do the tea tree oil instead. It's safer. If it hasn't made any improvement in a week, if the bald spot gets bigger, or he develops more bald spots he should see a doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleedingheart8D
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

bump

JEmery
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
My daughter has bald spots and a very sensitive scalp. She has alopecia. There is no explanation for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)