Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School supply question??

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM
  • 15 Replies
My oldest dd is starting middle school, what kind of supplies should I expect to buy? There is no list on the school website, and other parents I have asked said teachers send them home the first day of school. I don't want to wait that long, the sales will be over!! Also she has ADD and is kind of like the absent minded professor, so any tips on supplies that will make it easier for her are welcome also!!!
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SahmTam
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I wish I could answer. I'm in the same boat- no clue what to expect! I'm sending him with a binder that will have a pencil pouch, pencils, eraser, some folders, highlighters, and dry erase marker and hoping for the best!

We have orientation on Aug. 20th so maybe I'll know more by then (school starts in Sept.- Wednesday after Labor Day here.)

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Paper,pens,pencils,folders,calculator,binders,glue,scissors and stuff. Teachers will send lists home after school starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wyomom4
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My older kids pretty much only needed a notebook and pen/pencil for each class. A couple of classes also requested a 1" binder and some loose leaf paper. But really it was nothing near as much as what they needed in elementary school.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

For all 4 yrs of middle school, ds1 needed a big 3-ring binder, a folder for each class, a pencil pouch, pencils, pens, a calculator (which I disagreed w/, but sent b/c it was on the list), and paper. There were a few other odd-ball things, but the teachers told him those on the first day.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My middle schooler needs to have a 3-ring binder with dividers for each "core" subject, so 4 of them.  He also needs a box of crayons for science.  lol  Pencils, pens, erasers, scissors, glue, and lined paper for the binders.  He also needs to have a combination lock for his locker, our elementary school doesn't have lockers.

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I'm a middle school teacher. 

This is my team's list...

Binders (1 per subject),pencils, loose leaf paper, index cards (2 packs), colored pencils/markers, pens (red, black, and blue), highlighters, composition notebooks (2)

She will absolutely need an agenda to keep track of her assignments.  At my school, we give all students an agenda at the beginning of the year.  We require them to keep their agenda with them at all times.  Their agenda is similar to a calendar where they are able to write down assignments and upcoming tests/quizzes.

I absolutely don't recommend one of those large traper keepers that hold everything in one.  Students seem to have a hard time keeping up with things and keeping it organized.

She may need your help at the beginning of the year organizing her notebooks.  Dividers in her notebooks may also help her stay organized.  I would check them periodically so that papers don't get shoved in pockets and mysteriously vanish.

My team also accepts donations of kleenex, hand sanitizer, paper towels, and clorox wipes (yes middle schoolers still pass around germs)

TwinSoccerMom
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Do you know any of the parents with kids who are already in your middle school that could give you some guidance? Our school district has some specific items they would like students to have at each grade level beyond the basics. And often some of what I would think they need they really don't.

I think that if schools would like students to have specific items they should have them posted on the school website year round so that parents can purchase items when they find things on sale - which could be at times you least expect it. And typically by the time school starts it is hard to find any supplies. Everything is sold out already.

Roo1234
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM
that's interesting because my daughter's school requires a large " all in one" type binder because they argue that it keeps the student more organized because everything is in one place

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

Binders (1 per subject),pencils, loose leaf paper, index cards (2 packs), colored pencils/markers, pens (red, black, and blue), highlighters, composition notebooks (2)

She will absolutely need an agenda to keep track of her assignments.  At my school, we give all students an agenda at the beginning of the year.  We require them to keep their agenda with them at all times.  Their agenda is similar to a calendar where they are able to write down assignments and upcoming tests/quizzes.

I absolutely don't recommend one of those large traper keepers that hold everything in one.  Students seem to have a hard time keeping up with things and keeping it organized.

She may need your help at the beginning of the year organizing her notebooks.  Dividers in her notebooks may also help her stay organized.  I would check them periodically so that papers don't get shoved in pockets and mysteriously vanish.

My team also accepts donations of kleenex, hand sanitizer, paper towels, and clorox wipes (yes middle schoolers still pass around germs)

SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I guess to each his own, but those things become the biggest mess ever!  Paper get ripped out and kids put papers in the wrong sections.  Math ends up mixed up with science and everything else all in one.

Maybe the school just doesn't want to allow for frequent locker changes.  It might be easier for the teachers because the students aren't grabbing the wrong binder during locker changes.

Quoting Roo1234:

that's interesting because my daughter's school requires a large " all in one" type binder because they argue that it keeps the student more organized because everything is in one place

Quoting SouthernMamaof1:

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Pens (black, blue and red), Pencils, highlighters, 1 spiral for each class, colored pencils (history sometimes requires these), scissors, a few one-inch binders, notebook paper, glue, dividers (a couple packs) and probably a pack of dry erase markers as well.

Thats what my kids usually got before school started.  Each teacher will have ceratin things...some may want a 2 inch binder with dividers and some may just want 3 spirals for their one class. 

Hope that helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)