Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Should middle and high school start later in the day?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 21 Replies

Science has shown that tween and teenagers have a physiological propensity to sleep in and generally aren't really awake and productive until almost noon. 

Would you be okay with your child's middle/high school starting later in the day to take better advantage of the students' mental productivity?

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lisette1528
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

As a teacher who has taught high school with both early starts (7am) and late starts (8:45am), I saw little difference between the two in terms of 'students' mental productivity'.  In fact, just the opposite, in terms of overall productivity, responsibility, organizational skills, and contributions to school and community.  

Babujai
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting Lisette1528:

As a teacher who has taught high school with both early starts (7am) and late starts (8:45am), I saw little difference between the two in terms of 'students' mental productivity'.  In fact, just the opposite, in terms of overall productivity, responsibility, organizational skills, and contributions to school and community.  

I meant more like a 10am start.  Of course that would mean they wouldn't get out of school until around 6pm.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Um, no.

Then staying in school later at night would be crazy, My dd would get home at bedtime pretty much, which is 7pm at 11 yrs old and wont change for a long time to come. She sleeps 7pm to 7am out the door for 8am bus is at 8:10am, school starts at 8:30am she is done school at 3pm and home at 3:30pm.

mjande4
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I agree with this.  Frankly, most careers/jobs start way before ten and we would be doing kids NO favors if we didn't prepare them for the workforce. 

Quoting Lisette1528:

TwinSoccerMom
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

No. It would make afterschool activities too late. Both of ours are into sports and other afterschool activities plus homework and if they start late they would have to end late. Besides they need to get prepared for the "real world" where your boss doesn't generally care that you enjoy sleeping in.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I was also thinking about the after school activities and what about the kids who have to work?  Most of the kids around here start their part time jobs at 4:00 in the afternoon, but if they didn't get out of school until 6:00 there wouldn't be much point in having an after school job.

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Our middle school alreadystarts at 9.30 doesnt get out until almost 4.30  hate it rather be earlier.,  My dd will be starting HS in the fall it starts at 7.05am-she is good at being a morning person so I have no issue and will get out of school about 1.30pm

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I would be okay with my son's middle school and high school starting later in the day.

SouthernMamaof1
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I've noticed that my students have the hardest problems staying awake in 6th period.  I don't think later would be better.

GleekingOut
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Nope - if they need  more sleep - go to bed earlier - nix the technology at least an hour before bed; take the phones when they go to bed, tell them not to do anything in their beds but sleep so that their bodies are aware the bed is for sleeping and they will be just fine. Plenty  of fruit, exercise. Starting school later is BS IMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)