Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My De-Evolving Son

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son will be 11 in October and will be starting middle school next month.  I swear he is de-evolving before my eyes.  All he does is grunt at me in response to my questions. When he does respond to someone it seems to usually be with the word "dude".  Sometimes he and his friends seem to have a entire conversation where only the word "dude" is used.  He is doing that fist bump thing when he greets other kids.  The other day he actually asked me "to do him a solid and get him a glass of water".  Everything is "sick" even though it all looks perfectly healthy to me.  Where did my articulate baby go?  Is there an antidote? :)

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry.....I was too busy laughing.  One of my friends claim that kids stop being cute and start being dumb at age 10 or so.  hahaha.  I would just talk to him and let him know that you understand him and his friends talk a certain way but you still expect him to talk to you and other adults respectfully....and give a firm handshake.  Then I would explain why (i.e. future jobs, networking, professionalism, etc.) so that he understands the importance of not behaving like this with everyone.

StephanieSH
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM

This has all seemed to happen with a blink of an eye over the summer.  I will talk with him about conversation between peers and conversation with adults.  I just read that because of the informal language of texting, students are writing very informally which I saw when I was teaching this past school year.  They think they can write an essay with emoticons.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Quoting StephanieSH:

This has all seemed to happen with a blink of an eye over the summer.  I will talk with him about conversation between peers and conversation with adults.  I just read that because of the informal language of texting, students are writing very informally which I saw when I was teaching this past school year.  They think they can write an essay with emoticons.

It continues in college.  I am a college advisor and once saw a petition that was written in part text-speech.  Without really looking at it, the advisor didn't consider it because how it was written. 

There are certain behaviors that a lot of these kids in this generation do not show because they don't realize it's the respectful thing to do.  For example, three of us (1 staff members....30+ years old.....and 1 student...about 21) were walking together from a presentation.  While we were ALL having a conversation, she put her ear plugs in and started having a conversation on the phone.  No "excuse me, I need to take the call" or not even turning it off to get it later.  The other staff person looked at me and we just shook our head.  It was right in the middle of the conversation.

steelcrazy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I agree with a conversation about proper behavior around parents, teachers, and other adults.  My oldest needs a reminder every now and again too.  Sorry Dude!  You gonna hafta suck it up n chat!  lol

Wow, my attempt at that was really lame.  lol  I must be old.

Eve-marie
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Girl you funny! But yeah it's epidemic. I'm hoping when my boy gets past the teen years he realises suddenly how backward it actually is and start acting normally again. Here everybody is 'big man'. Awful.

StephanieSH
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't have a brother so this whole raising a son thing has been very interesting. :)

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

When people write short-hand on email, text, or FB....I have the hardest freak'n time understanding it.  It takes me longer to figure out what the hell they are saying.  Even on CM.....holy moly......it drives me nutty when people do that when it's really just as easy to write full words. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

I agree with a conversation about proper behavior around parents, teachers, and other adults.  My oldest needs a reminder every now and again too.  Sorry Dude!  You gonna hafta suck it up n chat!  lol

steelcrazy
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM

It really pained me to even type that. 

My grammar may not be perfect, but at least I try to type like an actual adult.  There have been tons of posts around CM that I haven't even tried to understand because they were written in text speak. 

Life with tweens is fun, they keep you on your toes, and I'm beginning to realize life with teens is down right frustrating.

Quoting M4LG5:

When people write short-hand on email, text, or FB....I have the hardest freak'n time understanding it.  It takes me longer to figure out what the hell they are saying.  Even on CM.....holy moly......it drives me nutty when people do that when it's really just as easy to write full words. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Ask him if knows the actually definition of "dude" ?

Listen to him mumble and all and then tell him that " dude" actually means " an infected or ingrown hair on an elephant's butt" it's true! I looked it up !!!

And to be fair, I had to be broken of valley girl speak at that age :-)
Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Ask him if knows the actually definition of "dude" ?

Listen to him mumble and all and then tell him that " dude" actually means " an infected or ingrown hair on an elephant's butt" it's true! I looked it up !!!

And to be fair, I had to be broken of valley girl speak at that age :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)