Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how old for highlights???

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
  • 15 Replies

Those of you with tween/teen girls..... what age do you think is appropriate for getting her hair highlighted???  My DD is 11 and starting the 6th grade- some of her freinds have started getting their hair highlighted... She has always been blonde and her hair is starting to darken.  She seems sooooo young to start that---

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tel4him
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I have an 11 year old and I think she's too young for anything permanent in her hair. I did let her get a little purple extension thing that will last between 3-6 months and can be taken out at any time.

I would say 15 or 16 for highlights like that.  I mean, 11?  To me, she's still a little girl. What's the rush to grow up?

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My dd is 11 too and started getting highlights around the age of 7.

And dying her hair funky colors as well, we have to go and put her blue streaks back in they are now green. lol

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not so sure that I'd be in a big hurry for permanent highlights at such a young age.  I would probably hold off until HS, so 14 or 15 years old.

This would also be a great time to sit down and have a talk about  being comfortable with yourself, how you look, and that someone's personality and the way that they treat others should be more imporant than looks.  Also reinforce all of the pretty characteristics that she has, both physical and non-physical.  Like her pretty smile, her sense of humor, her athletic ability, etc.  It is very important for kids to be able to see themselves in a positive light.

Pukalani79
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The hair thing is a battle I don't fight.  We've done the pink streaks and my daughter (10) loved them.  She hasn't asked about highlights yet, and we'll figure it out when we get to that point

MissMelanieC
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

My DD's are 13 and 9. At this point my 9 yr old has not asked for hair color changes just requested side swept bangs which i'm fine with that. My 13 yr old on the other hand wants to die her ends hot pink. Our answer was NO! Even if it is the ends of her hair we just feel like it will lead to other requests and eventually get out of control. So we tell her she's beautiful the way she is and nicely tell her to drop the subject.

SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My 7 yr old is trying out something new. I don't want permanent color so we r trying hair chalk. With a little hair spray or leave in conditioner this looks awesome. And it lasts thru the day of not constantly touched. My dd likes purple and hot pink so far
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Btw it's just for fun and incentive earning. Not everyday
SuperLooneyMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Mobile Photo

Side view
ROBIN-C
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I would be ok with it. Remember being in middle school and caring about your looks and what everyone else is doing? 

But then I let daughter (10) do all kinds of things with her hair since she was around 5. Glitter strand put in when she gets her hair cut, temp streaks... And now permenate streaks done by me at home (as in blue, ruby and red). It's just hair and I think they should be allowed to express themselves!

on a funny side note. Just prior to son going off to basic training I convinced him to get a Mohawk simply because for the next 3 years he wouldn't be in charge of his hair style. He had also had a mullet for years too. He is just now 21, so it's not like he had a mullet when they were cool,llmao! 

Anyway when he returned from Afghanistan he had recently gotten a hair cut. He knew he had two weeks on post before coming home for his two weeks R&R. So when his r&R time arrived he let his hair and facial hair grow out, BECAUSE HE COULD! Lol! Oh man did he look scraggly, but he was so happy! He is exiting the army in dec and already plans on growing his hair and facial hair out for a while.... Again because he can.... It's something so simple... Something we take for granted until its taken away from us! I don't like his scruffy look but I know the reason behind it so I don't say a word! 

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

For me, hair was never that big of a deal. If she would like high/low lights I would get them for her. Hair will change a good number of times over the years. Short, long, highlights, dyed, etc. It's just hair. So long as it's not over done and does no damage, I see no issue with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)