Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how old for highlights???

Posted by   + Show Post

Those of you with tween/teen girls..... what age do you think is appropriate for getting her hair highlighted???  My DD is 11 and starting the 6th grade- some of her freinds have started getting their hair highlighted... She has always been blonde and her hair is starting to darken.  She seems sooooo young to start that---

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Replies (11-15):
Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

the hair salons generally don't like to see kids younger than like 16 doing it. Really it's bad for the hair. My dd wants a fuschia(sp) color on her ends(tips) and I took her to the salon to ask how much and they were like..."welll, she has dark hair so we'd have to bleach her out then tone it..then the color..all said-$60-75.  I was more upset with the double processing of her hair because damn..it's dark Blonde light brown, NOT BLACK. I KNOW what double process does to your hair..duh..it fries it and makes it look and feel like straw. So I'm going to try and color over her natural color and hope for the best.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

oh, my dd is 12 going on 13 in Dec.  All her classmates had their hair done last school year.

waytomanykids9
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM

When they move out. My husband is very old fashioned and does not allow the change of appearance other then hair cuts.

momof6nokc
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
DD13.5 is entering 8th grade this fall. I'm allowing her to get a keratin treatment and highlights before school starts. She's very excited ;o)
RhineAndShine
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I was 11 and in 6th grade when I first got my hair colored and it was blonde highlights.  I already had blonde hair but it made it pop out more. My 10 and 8 yo always ask to get their hair highlighted.  I haven't done it yet because they want blonde and they have brown hair.  It would be too much color for their first time anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)