Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tween Girls' Clothing

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

We have been doing a bit of back to school shopping and I have to wonder if the buyers for the stores as well as the clothing companies  have any clue about school dress codes?  My DD is in middle school and the dress states all tops must have sleeves, no see through tops unless the top underneath matches the dress code, no tight pants, no jeans with tears or patches, etc...    However, very few stores can accomodate these rules.  The dresses are too short and flimsey, the tops are all sleeveless,e tc..   So, we have to buy little jackets and sweaters so she can wear the majority of her tops. yes, she will wear tshirts and polos, but not every day.  

Can't a mom dream that one day the fashion industry will be in touch with dress codes?  :-)

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your school dress code is pretty strict, not that it's a bad thing. My dd'd school allows tank tops. But jeans must fit (not overly tight or supper baggy) And skirts, shorts, and dresses must be good lenght. Finger tips when the arms are held down next to the legs.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Your school's dress code seems a lot stricter than ours.  Skinny jeans are permitted, huge holes/tears are not, but patched holes are fine. Our school is actually stricter about baggy, sagging pants than tight pants.  Under garments can't be showing at all.  Tank tops are acceptable and skirts/dresses must be fingertip length.  The see through tops would need a tank top underneath them, but are fine other wise.

aeroslove
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

oh wow very strict. If you want normal school clothes go to Kohls for jeans... Idk where else lol. Target has some normal jeans and has some normal shirts. when i mean normal as no weird colors and glitter. When my kids used to go to to school i would shop at Nordstroms, macys, Gap for kids, childrens place, jcp... we homeschool so it doesnt matter anymore.

Dragonfly315
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM

No I do not think they will ever get that.  The only real way is the uniform dress code.  And that worked great for me and my DD.  But now is going on to Middle school also and there is not a uniform dress code.  Which I am really going to miss.  But DD is not on the conservative side.  It will be interesting.

mommyto3bees
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

wow strict dress code.. my oldests school 5th and 6th grade 

only has shorts must be as long as to the end of your finger tips if you hold your arms down at your sides and shirts have to cover your belly button and no spaghetti strap tank tops

KenneMaw
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Yes, the dress code is pretty strict and it has not been adopted by the elementary schools in the area.   The school states school is for learning and not oogling or showing off your curves.  I agree with that idea, but dang, it sure can make shopping a challenge especially for summer clothes (we live in Atlanta so summer clothes are worn April-October).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)