Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Back-to-School Shortcut #3: Create a Homework Haven

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
  • 598 Replies
3 moms liked this

Having their own space to focus on assignments can make homework feel like less of a chore.

Help your child set up a desk or other workspace in his or her room (or another area of the house) that’s organized and free of distractions.  As soon as they come home from school, have kids open their backpacks and get books and worksheets out and ready, even if they won’t be doing the work until later.

NO HOMEWORK YET? Set up a mini library or “book nook” where you can spend some time each day reading with younger children. Or create an organized arts-and-crafts space if you don’t already have one – it can transition to a homework spot as they grow. 

How do your kids do their homework each night? Do you help them keep track of assignments?

school bus

Click here for  Back-to-School Shortcut #4: Keep a Master Calendar >>

One mom who replies to all 7 of our Back to School posts will win a $500 gift card!

The Giveaway Rules 

The Back to School Giveaway starts 8/12/2013 at 8am (ET) and ends 8/31/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to the 7 Back to School Posts associated with the giveaway with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period. Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a $500 gift card to Target, Walmart or amazon.com. The random drawing shall occur on or about 9/7/2013. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

They sit down at the kitchen table and do it.  Right now they are still young and don't have too much.  As they get older we may have to get them their own guests. 

SuperPickle
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

We always grab a snack and sit down for homework at the dining table as soon as they get off the bus. We find it much easier to get it out of the way first thing.

MOM2DMSD
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM
They both sit at the dinner table and have quiet homework time after a small break and a snack after they get home from school. They school had planners that they give each student so that they can keep track of assignments and parents have to sign them every night.
Tink0711
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM
DD does her homework at the kitchen table right after school. If she doesn't she fights about doing it later & it never gets done.
bbysqd
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
We have a routine after school that hhelps keep them on top of their homework. I also have a binder with a section for each child. This holds any important papers I need or their spelling and vocabulary words. Any papers that may be handy.
bingogurl
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM
We normally do the kitchen table, but this year my older two have their own desk and the other two will use the table.
funmommy123
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM
My kids do their homework after their afterschool snack. They arw 7 &10yrs old. They do their homework on the kitchen table & I assist them if needed. After, they are done, I look over their homework. After dinner, they do their reading in their room.
-pepperidge-
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:21 AM

this year is our first year with school but I plan on making a homework chart. every day when he is done with his school work he will get a cool sticker to fill in for that day!

hazel1922
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM
We do his homework every night at 6. Hes in kindergarten so its not ao much. Were in my bedroom on our computer desk while daddy and brother are in the living room so we can have peace and quiet while he's studying. He knows he has homework every night. So he's the first to ask if its time to sit and do it.
shishie
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM
We have desk and computer area for them to do their work. I need to buy a lamp and a more comfortable chair.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN