Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

A Hairy Issue

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi Ladies,

I need some advice about my 9-year-old daughter. Unfortunately, she has my genes and is starting to get hair on her upper lip, and also has major untamed eyebrows. At this age, is she too young to get waxed? I worry for her because I had the same problem at that age (still do now, but get the brows waxed and shave my face daily), and I would HATE to see her made fun of for it like I was. I feel like if I can prevent it now so she doesn't have to ever experience that embarrassment then I should. However, I'm worried I may be seen as a bad parent at the salon by even asking them to do this since she's so young. Has anyone had this experience?

Along the same lines, when should she start shaving her legs. She's got rather thick leg hair, although at this point it's pretty light in color. However she has pointed it out and asked when she can start shaving. I didn't start until I was about 11, but I hear girls are starting younger and if it would make her feel better about herself I'm not sure I have an issue with it. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mjande4
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

DON'T attach an age to it!  If she already has expressed interest, then do it.  There is no reason to put her through the agony of classmates teasing her.  It's just hair.  I look at it like this.  If she smelled, then you would buy deodorant.  If she had split ends, then you would get a trim.  If her teeth were crooked, then you would get braces.  Just do it!

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I agree with this.  The tween & teen years are hard enough without adding issues that can so easily be taken care of.

Quoting mjande4:

DON'T attach an age to it!  If she already has expressed interest, then do it.  There is no reason to put her through the agony of classmates teasing her.  It's just hair.  I look at it like this.  If she smelled, then you would buy deodorant.  If she had split ends, then you would get a trim.  If her teeth were crooked, then you would get braces.  Just do it!

lainec
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
My daughter uses the Nair sensitive for the face..... It removes her upper lip hair and the unibrow, and it lasts for about 6 weeks between uses. Best of all, it only takes 5 minutes and no pain at all!
NikkiJ25
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I agree with the rest of the responses on here. if she has already asked you when she can start let het start. i would recommend buying a razor like the shick quatro with the gaurd wires. i use them myself since im rather clumsy and they help prevent cuts really well! 

PhotoMom854
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Quoting lainec:

My daughter uses the Nair sensitive for the face..... It removes her upper lip hair and the unibrow, and it lasts for about 6 weeks between uses. Best of all, it only takes 5 minutes and no pain at all!

That's a great idea. I will check into that! I was worried waxing would hurt and scare her into never doing it again.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Sometimes the hormones rush to the beach, then subside. My dd had hairy legs at age 8. I shaved them for her. It was only a couple of months(6) and then the hair was less and thinner. Now, she shaves them and she is 12.

cocoroo
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:31 AM

My youngest dd turned 11 just over a week ago.  She has been shaving her legs for just over 2 years.  At first, I shaved them for her, now she does it on her own.  My 15 yo dd, gets her eyebrows and lip waxed. I started that last year for her.  It is hard for me, because I am pretty hairless.  They got it from their father. Both of my boys are hairless wonders, lol.  My 19 yo still doesn't need to shave.

momofjkkc
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:58 AM
I pluck and shape both my neices eyebrows since they were 10. Ds has a unibrow and I've always plucked his. I would never incourage shaving any facial hair. Shaving tends to cause the hair to come back thicker and darker.
If she is afraid of waxing or tweezing maybe try threading. My oldest sis says it's practically painless and doesn't cause the skin to redden and swell as much. I've seen booths in several malls.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN