Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Uptight Mom Punishes Daughter for Twerking at School Dance

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 6 Replies

Uptight Mom Punishes Daughter for Twerking at School Dance (VIDEO)

by Jacqueline Burt 18 hours ago

twerking signI don't know about you, but I kind of thought the "make your kid hold up a humiliating sign detailing his or her wrongdoings in a high-traffic area" disciplinary trend was over. (At least I hoped so.) Alas, I was wrong. Not only is the trend still going strong-ish, it's evolving to include new misdemeanors, moving on from the realm of petty thievery and cursing to ... twerking. Yes, twerking. Don't believe me? Just ask 11-year-old Jamie Hena, a seventh grader in California who dared to twerk at her school dance, much to mother Frances Hena's dismay. 

Now, before we go any further, I should point out that twerking is apparently NOT against school rules -- Jamie was in the clear until a friend told her mom about the "inappropriate" moves she busted. 

So, beyond the question of why any parent thinks making their kid hold up a piece of cardboard with a half-hearted apology scrawled in magic marker is actually an effective form of discipline, what I want to know is if poor Jamie even knew she was really doing anything wrong. Also, WAS she really doing anything wrong? Um ... nope. Sure, she was dancing "inappropriately" for an 11-year-old girl, but one could argue that The Twerk (as I've decided it should be referred to always from this point on) is an "inappropriate" dance for anyone at any age to perform.

That said, it's no less/more raunchy than any other inappropriate dance craze from years past: When I was 11 years old, Dirty Dancing -- the movie -- was all the rage, and while there was precious little dirty dancing going on at any school functions (boys and girls still stayed far away from each other on separate sides of the gym), it was still something we all knew about and were like, whatever. Meaning Patrick Swayze didn't corrupt us, you know? (Neither did the lesser known Lambada craze from around the same time.) Just like Elvis and his hips didn't corrupt our then-young parents, Miley Cyrus and her twerking didn't corrupt Jamie Hena or anybody else. Because while twerking is tacky and suggestive, it's still just a dance, and to punish your 11-year-old for dancing "disrespectfully" is to load up that innocent butt-waggling with a butt-load of innuendo she probably never even realized was there in the first place -- 'til ya made her stand there with a sign and think about it, that is. So who's corrupting whom??

Video Here

Do you think this was an appropriate punishment?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Khanfan
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I think I don't have all of the facts.  I did click on the link and saw that Jamie is barely wearing pants/shorts as she stands on the street corner.  Mom is out of line and should apologize to her daughter.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmmm... I'm all for public consequences when it's appropriate, example, if my son stole, I would have no issue with making him wear a shirt that said "I stole from this store" while cleaning their parking lot. However, I don't think it is an appropriate consequence in this case. If this was the first time she did it, I would probably have a serious talk with her about appropriate conduct, and if she did it again, she would be grounded. I wouldn't want people looking at my kid and thinking about her dancing in a blatantly sexual way while she was holding a sign saying she did that on a street corner. Seems like an invitation for predators, imo. I think twerking in public is inappropriate regardless of age. At home with your husband or SO, it's fine, but not in public. Ever. For anyone. Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I think a more appropriate consequence would be no more school dances...and to be creative they would be enrolled in dance classes. And by dance classes I mean waltzing, the fox trot and all the dances we all learnt in PE.

adi29
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Its her daughter. She has the right to punish her daughter.
Would I have done the same thing? Hell no
AnnieGoolaheey
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I don't think mom is "uptight" at all.  I'd be pissed if my daughter were doing that at a school dance.  Not sure how I feel about this particular punishment though.

bingogurl
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Maybe I should have my daughter do this for not finishing her chores....hmmm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)