Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

10 Horrible Things We've Said to Our Kids

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

10 Horrible Things We've Said to Our Kids

by Jacqueline Burt

worst things"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." It's something we tell our kids all the time, but do we manage to follow the same rule? Never you mind about that! Do as I say, not as I do!! Uhhhh ... yeah. Unfortunately, moms are just as likely to let poorly chosen words fly in the heat of the moment as an ornery grade schooler -- in fact, more often than not, those poorly chosen words are directed at our very own ornery grade schoolers. Before I became a mom, I never dreamed of saying half of the probably permanently damaging things I've said to my kids. Sure, I've said them out of complete and utter exasperation, but is it ever okay to tell your daughter you're selling her to gypsies just as soon as you can track some down? Probably ... not.

At least I'm not the only poison-tongued mother out there. Here's the (anonymous, shame-filled) list of answers we got when we asked moms to tell us the worst thing they ever said to their kid:

1. "GODDAMMIT!"

2. "Shut the f*ck up!"

3. "Stop being such an asshole."

4. "SHUT the FRICK UP!"

5. "I'm sending you to Siberia to live with Tiger!" (As in Tiger The Brady Bunch dog, who was almost sent to Siberia by dad Mike Brady in one episode.)

6. "How did you turn out to be such a selfish, spoiled brat?"

7. "Clean up your room! You're getting to be as much of a slob as your father!!"

8. "Santa's dead!"

9. "Sometimes I think I took the wrong baby home from the hospital."

10. "I hope you like bread and water, because that's all they serve in reform school, and that's where you're going!"

See, you're not alone!! 

What's the worst thing you've ever said to your kid?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I once told my dd (11) that if she didn't want to live by to rules of our house then she could pack her stuff and go move in with her father.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I think the worst thing I've said was shut up. We don't say that in our home, I teach them not to say it, so I feel pretty bad when I say it. I've also told my oldest that he was acting like a little brat. He was, but it probably wasn't a good way to say that. I also told him that if he doesn't stop being lazy he will end up being a bum. I try really hard not to talk mean to them. But it isn't easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I've told ds1 to shut up when he just would not stop talking.

When extremely, unbelievably frustrated w/ them (but not angry), I've threatened to string them up by their toenails from a powerline.

I've called them brats when they've acted like one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)