Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Advice Needed: How to punish a 10 year old girl for threatening...

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

How to punish a 10 year old girl for threatening a boy at school. Apparently he was bullying her and she threatened him physically.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KenneMaw
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I wouldn't punish my child for that.  We have always given our child permission to use physical violence as a last resort with a bully.   In our experience, all of the talking and negotatiating with a bully rarely works.   Many bullies need to have a physical consequence for their actions to finally make them understand not to mess with someone else.

beerabitch69
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

punish her for what? Sticking up for herself?

Yeah..no.

csxt99
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

If she was being bullied and finally got fed up, I would not punish her at all.  I would talk to her about a better way to handle it, but I would never punish a child for standing up for themself.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know how you would punish that. I've always told my kids that they better never start a fight, but that they should defend themselves if they're being picked on. I'll stand behind them 100% on that. Maybe tell her if she is being bullied again that she should report it to a teacher, but in all honesty that probably won't help much, so I think you should teach her to defend herself. Unless she is threatening to kill him or something extreme, I would tell her she handled it well. At least she warned him instead of just decking him right then and there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM
who tattled on her ? the bully???
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I absolutely agree with this.

Quoting csxt99:

If she was being bullied and finally got fed up, I would not punish her at all.  I would talk to her about a better way to handle it, but I would never punish a child for standing up for themself.

-42-
by New Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Punish her with ice cream.

For real, she was sticking up for herself. Nothing wrong with that, and she may have felt threatened herself.
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I wouldn't. She was standing up for herself. Did this happen at school? What is the school saying and what are they doing about the bully? Really it sounds like she was just pushed to far and was just satnding up for herself which girls (all children) should be taught to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN