Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Kids are Sick I need advice! PLEASE!!

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello my name is Autumn,

My two oldest kiddos are 10 going on 11 and 12 they are attending a middle school that has Mold in the cafeteria, as well as in the gym. The gym is a Major concern for parents because it does not have any AC/ no ventalation, the water is brown, the basketball hoops are held together with duct tape and there is mold all over. 

What proper steps need to be taken in order to have the issues addressed?

* The gym is concidered a "historic" building and it has been said that it can not be torn down or added to*

I personally think that with the conditions the way they are the children should be moved for gym class.

Any Help Is Appreciated!!!!

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Are other parents aware of this? If so, get together and call the health dept. No one should be forced to be in those conditions.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I agree, call the health department. In the meantime, get a statement from your doctor that excuses the kids from gym class until the building is made safe for them. They should be able to sit it out until the building is clean and the air is safe for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

My kids wouldn't be going to school there. I would be calling the health department and I would pull my  kids from school.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

This exactly!  Even a "historic building" can be made safe.

Quoting Zamaria:

I agree, call the health department. In the meantime, get a statement from your doctor that excuses the kids from gym class until the building is made safe for them. They should be able to sit it out until the building is clean and the air is safe for them.

lunyuny
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Id see whats being done to correct this at the same time I would be looking into another school for my kids.  Poor guys

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This! 

Quoting Zamaria:

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Quoting waytomanykids10:

My kids wouldn't be going to school there. I would be calling the health department and I would pull my  kids from school.

I was thinking this too.
AJMotivate
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Thank You Ladies!!!!

Other moms know and the superintendent has been informed with a formal e-mail and basically blew everything off. So we are going over their heads with the health department and city codes.

Again Thank You all Very Much!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)