Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 years old and a tablet

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
I want to get DS a tablet for Christmas. He is 10. Does your child have one and if so which one do they have.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jphil77
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My dd is 13.  They didn't have tablets really when she was 10.  But, I say it's probably better than a cell phone.  DD got a cell phone when she was just turning 12.  Just make sure you monitor what they do - there are a lot of things the kids do on those things that needs to be monitored (i.e. ask.fm, instagram, facebook, etc etc etc).  Just my 2 cents :)

mamarj
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My DD is 12 and she got a Kindle Fire last Christmas. She really liked it and what's nice about the kindled is you can set a time frame on it so it locks after so long and can only be used for reading after that. Very kid friendly and nice parental controls on it. Since then she has gotten an iPod touch that she uses more and my 2 year old has taken over th  kindle. I set him as a different user and downloaded all kinds of kid games for him. When I turn it on his profile it locks him in so he can't mess with her stuff and her apps. And it is one of the cheaper tablets to get. Very worth th  money!

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM

My kids don't have tablets, but if they did I'd probably go with a Samsung Galaxy tablet or a Nook tablet.

lunyuny
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Thank you I appreciate it. Its an idea that I may get him one I am still debating :)

Quoting jphil77:

My dd is 13.  They didn't have tablets really when she was 10.  But, I say it's probably better than a cell phone.  DD got a cell phone when she was just turning 12.  Just make sure you monitor what they do - there are a lot of things the kids do on those things that needs to be monitored (i.e. ask.fm, instagram, facebook, etc etc etc).  Just my 2 cents :)

lunyuny
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Thank you that sounds like an interesting item to check out.

Quoting mamarj:

My DD is 12 and she got a Kindle Fire last Christmas. She really liked it and what's nice about the kindled is you can set a time frame on it so it locks after so long and can only be used for reading after that. Very kid friendly and nice parental controls on it. Since then she has gotten an iPod touch that she uses more and my 2 year old has taken over th  kindle. I set him as a different user and downloaded all kinds of kid games for him. When I turn it on his profile it locks him in so he can't mess with her stuff and her apps. And it is one of the cheaper tablets to get. Very worth th  money!

TheartAH
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I got DD9 a refurbished galaxy tab for Christmas last year. I downloaded a parental control app so she can only access what I approve.
Eyelashes23
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM
My son has an iPad and loves it. He's 10
jojobean558
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM
My DD has a galaxy tab. She 12 but has had it for over a year now. She lives it, she mostly uses it to listen to her music and dances with it for exercise.
Randijt154
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
My daughter is ten and just bought her own iPad. She saved for well over a year! She plays MineCraft, makes silly videos with her friends and does instagram. She loves it. We also travel often and it's REALLY nice to have it then.
JayTee80
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

My now 12 year old got a Kindle Fire last year for Christmas.  He was 11 at the time.  My youngest is 9 and he will be getting a tablet, probably the latest Kindle Fire, for Christmas.  They currently share my oldest's and love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)