Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Her first boyfriend Update in blue

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

Seems as though my Emma (11) has her first boyfriend. She's in 6th grade and he asked her best friend to ask her out for him yesterday. She said yes and he told her he's liked her since she transfered into the school district during 5th grade.

Honestly I think it's cute, and at this point all that dating means is that they walk to classes together, sit together in lunch, and hang-out at the school dance together. They might exchange school photos and phone numbers.

Just wanted to share.

Well a few weeks ago the boy broke up with her. He really never gave her a reason, in fact he told her that she broke up with him which left her feeling a little confused. Dh was a little glad that they "broke up" because he didn't like the idea of her having a boyfriend, but felt bad for her because she was a little upset and confused. We got subs for dinner that night to have a special dinner. Well recentaly the boy asked her to get back together. She told him "NO, you broke up with me" We're really proud of her for not feeling like she needs to have a boyfriend.

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Aww, that is cute!  :)

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Thanks! I think so too! She told me he's in almost all of her classes and they walk to classes together. They sat together in lunch yesterday and he bought her an apple.

Her best friend is dating his best friend which I find supper cute. They are all going to the Halloween dance together later this month. Which means they'll meet up there.

Dh doesn't like it and says he doesn't like the boy. We haven't met the boy yet, going to wait awhile and see how long this goes on if she's still seeing him at christmas time we may have to talk about meeting him, or if they decied to do something outside of school which ever comes first. But then agian Dh has already said he will never like any boy our dds date because nobody is good enough for them.

Khanfan
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Kinda cute.  I wanted to be the girlfriend to Dan in 6th grade. 

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Well of course DH doesn't like the boy!  It's his job to hate any boy that his little girl likes. ;)

Quoting embrigmom:

Quoting amonkeymom:

Thanks! I think so too! She told me he's in almost all of her classes and they walk to classes together. They sat together in lunch yesterday and he bought her an apple.

Her best friend is dating his best friend which I find supper cute. They are all going to the Halloween dance together later this month. Which means they'll meet up there.

Dh doesn't like it and says he doesn't like the boy. We haven't met the boy yet, going to wait awhile and see how long this goes on if she's still seeing him at christmas time we may have to talk about meeting him, or if they decied to do something outside of school which ever comes first. But then agian Dh has already said he will never like any boy our dds date because nobody is good enough for them.

susannah2000
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

They aren't "dating" and shouldn't think of themselves as "dating"  They are ELEVEN. It's cute to have a middle school crush but don't make it any more adult in any way. They are still young children.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

How am I making it more "adult"?  Get over whatever it is that is up your ass about this. If they want to call it dating and say they are boyfriend and girlfriend I'm fine with it. SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!  Did you read? They sit together in lunch, and walk to classes together and may hang out at the school dance. I see nothing adult about any of that. 

Quoting susannah2000:

They aren't "dating" and shouldn't think of themselves as "dating"  They are ELEVEN. It's cute to have a middle school crush but don't make it any more adult in any way. They are still young children.

alliweben
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It is cute and actually pretty innocent as you've described it.   We are getting into this in our house now, too.  My Kimmie is in 6th and will be 12 in November.  Several of her friends "go out."   It's bit complicated now for her.  A boy has asked her to go out, but she's put off giving him an answer.  She says there's another boy she'd rather go out with!  Poor baby!  Already getting a dose of the real world, I guess!   Her best friend wants her to ask the boy she likes to go out, but she is hesitant to.   Her daddy is being philosophical.   He knew this time would come and is dealing with it as best he can! 

susannah2000
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Quoting embrigmom:

How am I making it more "adult"?  Get over whatever it is that is up your ass about this. If they want to call it dating and say they are boyfriend and girlfriend I'm fine with it. SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!  Did you read? They sit together in lunch, and walk to classes together and may hang out at the school dance. I see nothing adult about any of that. 

Quoting susannah2000:

No there isn't anything adult about what they do. I think saying they are dating and letting therm say they are dating, at eleven years old, IS encouraging a more adult perspective. If you don't want to hear the possibility of  an opposing opinion to yours, that you need to respond to with hostility, why do you post here?

mamalynnsmith
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

11 is way to young to date!!! One things leads to another and it all starts somewhere. She should be focusing on school . And yes i have 2 boys ages 17&13 and they are not allowed to date till they are 18 . They need to focus on school so they can get a good job and take care of themselves. 

GleekingOut
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Quoting mamalynnsmith:

11 is way to young to date!!! One things leads to another and it all starts somewhere. She should be focusing on school . And yes i have 2 boys ages 17&13 and they are not allowed to date till they are 18 . They need to focus on school so they can get a good job and take care of themselves. 

I agree with you - seeing as I didn't allow my eldest to go on a date until she was 18 - But there is absolutely nothing you can do to control what your kids call themselves at school. My daughter had "boyfriends" at school even though she wasn't allowed to date, and so did a lot of her friends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)