Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well melatonin didn't work...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
And my 11 year old is determined to pull one last all nighter tonight I'm at wits end with her. Attitude, everything but also we are moving to a new house and she won't clean her room to pack her things, but her sister loves her and did it for her is now she's complaining she's bored. Any ideas?? I also made DD11 pack her sisters 3 costco diaper boxes full of books and magazines AND carry them to the basement in the new house
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Why do you allow that? No way in heck her sister shoukd have done het work! If she couldmt pack it, leave it there and she doesnt have ot.
STG3kids1mom
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM
She's threatened to run away a couple times so I try not to upset her like that
calsmom62
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM
thats extortion. dont let her hold threats over your head. if she says it again matter of factly. ask her where else she would go. if she says grandma. pull out your ohone and have her tell grandma her plan. if she says I dont know then pull up youth and childrens services and let her call them. she is banking onyou letting her get away with everything by her threatening to reject you. By your actions you are showing her that having her stay is worth any price to you. even giving up your authority as a parent or a harmonious house snd that she is supreme princess. so she threatens and you cave and she gets her way. If you remain objective as you stand up to her threat and she is faced with the reality of making other living arrangements she may back down. or uf she is really stubborn she might push enough to actually spend a dew days away. but your reponse should be that leaving is her idea not yours but to stay she must follow rules and do chores as does everyone else

Quoting STG3kids1mom:She's threatened to run away a couple times so I try not to upset her like that
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Agreed! She is manipulating you. Stop letting her.

Quoting calsmom62:

thats extortion. dont let her hold threats over your head. if she says it again matter of factly. ask her where else she would go. if she says grandma. pull out your ohone and have her tell grandma her plan. if she says I dont know then pull up youth and childrens services and let her call them. she is banking onyou letting her get away with everything by her threatening to reject you. By your actions you are showing her that having her stay is worth any price to you. even giving up your authority as a parent or a harmonious house snd that she is supreme princess. so she threatens and you cave and she gets her way. If you remain objective as you stand up to her threat and she is faced with the reality of making other living arrangements she may back down. or uf she is really stubborn she might push enough to actually spend a dew days away. but your reponse should be that leaving is her idea not yours but to stay she must follow rules and do chores as does everyone else

Quoting STG3kids1mom:She's threatened to run away a couple times so I try not to upset her like that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OvrMyHead
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM
What is she doing during her allnighter? Take all the electronics away. Only books are allowed for nighttime here. If she is sleeping in until late she won't be tired until late.
STG3kids1mom
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I've tried that but she just reads. I've told her "Sarah, I'm gonna get you up at 6 am in the morning" (at 2 in the morning) But I never get up in time . I have a habit of turning off my alarm and I wake myself up usually close my eyes to wake myself up. Writing this from her iPod touch. Only cuz it was the closest internet enabled device. But guess what I did? I disabled her Facebook and I'm gonna give her her iPod in the morning and she always checks Facebook first so she's gonna go into it and I also changed her password so she can't go into it and re enable it and when she's done packing she can have the new password and Facebook back.
Khanfan
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Sounds like you did get her to so some work.  Good Job!

My dd12 is so proud of her ability to stay awake all night and up late the next.  I recently read part of an article on sleep deprivation and it's effects on the brain.  I'm gonna have her read the whole thing, maybe make a science project out of it.

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Wow... DD's pissed. She yelled at me I said "Okay then if you wanna be that way, you can't have the password for a week after you're done." she said "BUT, MOM HOW AM I GONNA TEXT ALL MY FRIENDS! YOU'RE MEAN!" and guess what "2 weeks." My mom always did this for my grounding, if I got mad and threw a fit, "Two weeks, three weeks, four weeks!" I always stopped at 4 weeks

bingogurl
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM

My 11 yr takes 10 mg of melatonin 2hrs before he goes to bed so that I can get him to bed without any fighting or arguing. 

Don't let her control you! If she threatens to run away, LET HER! She'll come back when she realizes that there is nothing out there for an 11yr. 

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM
But her sleep isn't on schedule and the doc suggested allnighters as apparently then help no idea how

Quoting Khanfan:

Sounds like you did get her to so some work.  Good Job!

My dd12 is so proud of her ability to stay awake all night and up late the next.  I recently read part of an article on sleep deprivation and it's effects on the brain.  I'm gonna have her read the whole thing, maybe make a science project out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)