Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Does your pre-teen have a cell phone?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 29 Replies

If yes, does he have a texting plan?  What about data, can he/she access the internet from their phone?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Both my boys got phones when they were 12 1/2 yo. Thats when we started dropping them off places without us. Things like scouts, Community Theater, riding bikes t oa friend's house, etc.

I would hae preferred to wait until they were in high school but for my oldest, we sent him to BSA National Jamboree on the east coast for 21 days. He was with a group we knew only slightly as it was a Troop of kids from the area all pulled together. Not his usualy troop. When he got home, I didn't have the heart to take it back..LOL

They both started with texting and standard phone only.

My oldest got upgraded to data/internet when he was 15.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

D has a phone and she can send and recive texts. But she cannot access the internet and cannot send or recive pictures.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Colin has a phone, he got it when he turned 11 so that he could call or text his dad (living out of state) any time he wanted without having to ask for my phone or bother his sister for hers.  It's worked out really well.  No data plan for him for a few years yet though.

Mommy2Boys0900
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM
My 12 year old son had a cell phone since he was 11 because that was when he started traveling to and from school by himself. I started out with just the basics, talk & text. Now he has data as well.
beerabitch69
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Yep. They have iPhones
We have unlimited whatever.

(They have had phones since 6 and 7)
ROBIN-C
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Yes Tiara (10) has had a cell since she was 8. Unlimited text and data. But half the time she doesn't know where it is @@!
Now she wants an iphone5s, lol!
STG3kids1mom
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM

DD10 and DD12 both have them because they walk home from school. They have a 25 $$ plan unlimited texting and 50 anytime minutes and VERY minimal data

Pukalani79
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

My 12 year old does, although it's currently deactivated.  Once he starts getting more active in things, we'll reactivate it for him.  He can text and can access the internet, although he's not really that interested in internetting with the phone

GleekingOut
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Nobody has phones but my 21yo. She's had her phone since she was 13 - it's been taken away from her several million times - but she has a smartphone that she pays for herself. None of the others will get phones until they NEED them.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Sort-of. We just got a Tracfone for all 3 kids to share. So far, ds1 is the only one who's used it. It does have texting, but since it's pay-as-you-go w/ minute cards, I'm not sure how that works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)