Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has your child attempted babysitting any younger children yet?

Colin babysat a neighbor's 3 year old for about an hour last summer and didn't have any problems at all with doing it.  He actually said it was a lot easier than he thought (of course, the little boy napped the entire time, lol).

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Ds1 (14) hasn't really watched anyone other than his siblings. He has watched them when they each had one friend over, but that wasn't for very long.

Ds2 has only been in charge of his younger sister once- it was only for about 10-15 mins and it was a last resort. He's only 9 1/2, so not old enough to babysit yet.

elsters4
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughters are 13 and 11. My 13 year old daughter has sometimes babysat for her younger sister or for relatives. She's also watched the neighbor's kids from time to time for a short amount of time. 

She took the official babysitting course this weekend and received her "diploma" :)

calsmom62
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
no. they arent interested in babysitting. ds12 does yard work for $$. he and his friends rake leaves or shovel for a few dollars and they end up at the neighborhood pizza shop and whats left is spent at the corner store on 2/1.00 candy.
beerabitch69
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

they sometimes have younger siblings of their friends over.  They watch them if I leave.   They have been doing that for years.

waytomanykids10
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My 11 year old has watched his younger siblings and cousins for a couple of hours, I won't let him babysit for anyone else.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I was thinking about signing my son up for that course.

Quoting elsters4:

My daughters are 13 and 11. My 13 year old daughter has sometimes babysat for her younger sister or for relatives. She's also watched the neighbor's kids from time to time for a short amount of time. 

She took the official babysitting course this weekend and received her "diploma" :)

mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I don't think my 11 yr old would have the maturity to know how to handle an emergency situation properly. I won't let her babysit alone yet. She is going to take a Red Cross Babysitter training in the meantime, and "practice" with her 8 yr old sister for short times.

elsters4
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

You should! It is very informative and equips them with all the knowledge they will need for babysitting, including what procedures to do in the event of an emergency. They also are given a handbook that has everything that was covered in the class. PM me if you want any additional details!

Quoting amonkeymom:

I was thinking about signing my son up for that course.

Quoting elsters4:

kerri1205
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My 12 1/2 year old is taking the class in Nov.  Up until now he has only watched his brother.  After the class he will start watching some neighbor kids -- he has already talked to some parents about it.

momofjkkc
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Kyle wants to babysit his cousin (bff's 2yr old), he just hasn't done it yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)