Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Code word - Do you have one?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 32 Replies

I was reading this morning about a girl who was approached after school by a man in a car who told her that her mom had sent him to pick her up.  She was smart though and asked the man what her mom's name was, of course he didn't know and sped off.

That reminded me that I never set up a code word with my kids this year.  I usually have a word that they need to remember and ask anyone (other than myself, their brother or a grandparent) needs to tell them in order for them to be able to go with that person.

Do you have a code word?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alliweben
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Yes, we do. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

We did when the kids were younger. We haven't talked about it in years.

The youngest is 10 and knows how to act and who to go with.

calsmom62
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM
same here. we havent done it in a few yrs.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We did when the kids were younger. We haven't talked about it in years.

The youngest is 10 and knows how to act and who to go with.

GleekingOut
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Nope because I only allow people who know my child to pick them up. And I ALWAYS either tell them in the morning or ring the school to tell them so that they know I have expressively given my permission. They know not to get in a car otherwise. Even if it means a parent calling me and putting me on speaker.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yes we do.

askstratman
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 9 and 10 and since they walk home together from the bus stop at the corner we still have one... every year we change it and they love on New Years Day to pick out a new one. We also change it if we ever have to use it.  I did once and had my friend pick them up after school and I made sure she knew the word but to wait to see if the kids asked for it.  And my little one did, she said, "Aunt Becky what's the magic word." and my kids teacher was impressed and laughed once she heard it... at that point it was shoelace... simple, random but my kids remember why it was picked so it sticks with them.  I recommend it to everyone!

terpmama
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM
We had one when I was growing up... My kiddos aren't old enough yet (oldest is 4) and the "school" he's in will only release to parents and specific designers with parent approval and photo ID. We will next year when he goes to kindergarten.
beerabitch69
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

no, they would just use their phones to call me and make sure.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM
They know that if there is an emergency and they need to be picked up by someone they don't know like possibly a police officer, they are to insist that the person check in at the office and wait until the school approves them before they leave with them. I never thought about a code word, but it's a good idea! I'll have to make one for them. I wouldn't send anyone I didn't know to pick them up, but I guess in an emergency situation, it's possible that an officer etc. may have to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

No, and I've been meaning to for quite a while. We had one growing up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)