Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tween with fake fingernails??? Too young???

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 9 y/o daughters friends get their nails done. They get sculptured nails in various colors and designs. This costs at least $25 every two weeks. So of course my daughter wants her nails done too but I think she is too young. Her fingers are so little. It just doesn't look right either. And its very expensive. Moms...what do you think? Is she too young or not?
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Um yes. Most sculptured nails are not good for them un the first place. They damage the nail bed regardless of how well they are done, and the chemicals and fumes aren't good to breathe or have on their skin. I suggest you get her some cool nail polishes, and maybe let her get gel (actual gel, not overpriced acrylic) nails for special occasions. You might also consider a gel polish manicure for her. The gel polish lasts for about three weeks, they can do designs with it, and it is much safer than fake nails. It'll help her natural nails grow out too, and wont damage her nails as much. I wouldn't think regular bi weekly salon manicures were appropriate until she is old enough to pay for them. Special treats are one thing, routines are another story. Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I think it is to young.

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I think it is too young.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

YOU are the Mom. If you think it is too young, then it is too young in your house.

This is one of those instances where you need "mommy balls" aka ...this is the rule therefore the subject is closed.

mumsy2three
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I think it's too young

Wyldbutterfly
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm not a fan of fake nails, period. They aren't good for anyones nailbeds. I could see if you wanted to do this as a mommy/dughter kind of thing just once. But, just because her friends have it done, no.

momofjkkc
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
When I was that age my older sister had her nails done lile that (she was over 18) and I temember wanting mine the same way real bad. So she took me for her next appointment. I got to see how they did it and changed my mind. I didn't want my nails jacked up that bad. So she let me get a manicure and I just got them painted instead.
Maybe take her in and show her how it is actually done and tell her what its like when they take them off. She might change her mind. Sometimes we can't see past the pretty part.
momma-of-three3
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Maybe it could be a fun mother daughter thing but not just cause her friends have them done. Maybe you can get her stick on nails if you think she's too young? Some of them are really cute.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I don't let my kids get acrylics/tips until they're at least 13. But I do let the younger ones use the press-on nails you can get at Walmart-type stores. There's no glue involved in most--and the ones that do have glue, it's just nail glue and comes off w/acetone. But that way, they can join in the nail fun w/out the trauma of acrylics/tips. (I love them, but they're so horrible on your real nails!)

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 18 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

pattya925
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

absolutely.  No way would my 9 year old have fake nails.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)