Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

iPod touch for an 8 yr old?

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 16 Replies

I'm seroudly debating right now with myself to get DD an iPod touch. If I do should I get her an old used one??

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hburnette3
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

that depends.  IS she a mature 8yo?

If she takes care of her things and keeps up with them I definitely would. 

I would get the next to to the last generation that came out.

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM

She is mature. Her sisters CANNOT keep their rooms clean, and she always keeps hers clean. :) So you say yes, 4th Gen?

calsmom62
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM
and get the protection plan for it.

Quoting hburnette3:

that depends.  IS she a mature 8yo?

If she takes care of her things and keeps up with them I definitely would. 

I would get the next to to the last generation that came out.

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Protection plan?

mamavalor
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hubby and I decided to give our girls an iPod touch at age 10, along with permission to pierce their ears.  

Just know that an old used one may not have the capabilities as the new ones.  DD1's iPod touch broke after 2 years of constant use.

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Wow. Just. That's fantastic
STG3kids1mom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Bump
Truluv4ever
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My dd is 7 1/2 years old and she just got an iPod about a month ago and she's been great with it, being careful with it, keeping it clean & dry, charging it and putting away at bedtime! I think if your dd is a mature 8, you should get her one. Just make sure you have a talk with her about being very careful with it and taking proper care of it. The one we got is a second hand one with no service plan but I think we'll be fine with it! Good luck~
awesomemommy2
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My 6 year old got one last christmas.   Its almost a year later and never an issue.  

I wouldnt buy used unless it comes with some sort of guarantee.

kerri1205
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

After yeras if investing in Lead Pads, Leapsters, etc.. and them losing interest in it after a while we started making them save for these bigger ticket items.  We did this for thei DSi's and then their iPod touches - older one is very responsible - he earned his at 9 1/2, our younger one got his at 8 (trying to get what brother had).  Once our younger son did drop and shatter his screen - he then had to save up the $100 for the new one (traded in old one at Apple store to replace) and he does misplace it around the house a lot (put find my phone ap on to help with that).  The agreement we have is that if they save to but it we will buy the games, or itunes gift cards -- whatever is needed to support the game system they want, but for the handheld items the big, initial purchase is theirs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN