Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Elementary Graduation

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

What is the protocol for an elementary graduation?  Do I throw a party or host an open house? I just have the one child (and extremely grateful for her) and am unsure as to the traditions of "growing up." :)

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally hate elememtary."graduation." They aren't graduating. They are moving to a different school but moving up as they have every other year.

IMO- High School, and then college are the only graduation that matter.
mjande4
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I agree 100% with this.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I personally hate elememtary."graduation." They aren't graduating. They are moving to a different school but moving up as they have every other year.

pattya925
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM

We don't celebrate them here.  The school has a little ceremony but no one hosts a party or anything til high school graduation.

chandlerjsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I went to a school that was a receiver school for a feeder school district that only went to 8th grade(rural area in Oklahoma). Both schools had a graduation since a lot changed for all students.
As for your daughter get her a gift, nothing that says graduate but jewelry is an idea. My DD is 10 if they have a graduation before high school I will probably get her a necklace and take her closest friends to get pizza. Hope this helps.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

No elementary "graduations" here. We didn't do anything when ds1 moved up to middle school, and we won't for the other 2, either.

alliweben
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Ours had a small ceremony at school.  Nobody that I know had any parties like for a high school or college graduation.  My daughter didn't expect more and so far as I know neither did her friends.   I think they were just glad to be getting away from "the little kids" and on to middle school so they can feel "grown up."   LOL!!

catngabsmom
by Erica on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't do a "graduation", but we do a Fly-up ceremony. The kids all walk across the stage and are given a certificate of completion from the PYP (primary years programme, we are an IB certified school), students are also recognized for academic, athletic and community achievements. The teachers for each classroom recognize each student for a particular IB learner profile trait. It is a beautiful ceremony and the kids all look forward to it. My oldest dd had hers last year and youngest dd will have hers this year. I don't do a "party", but they are allowed to invite friends over after for pizza and to hang out and we always go to a nice dinner on the last night of school to celebrate surviving the year!
princezlisa12
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Thanks!  I do know the school has a small graduation ceremony during the school day in which parents/relatives are invited to come (which I'm looking forward to), but as to a party, I was clueless.  I LOVE the pizza idea.  Thinking about having a small potluck gathering for her friends and their families that we are close with.  Good to know I don't need to start planning anything elaborate LOL

scapermom
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Ours had a 'moving up' ceremony and on the last day a 'Clap-Out' where all the 5th graders and teachers walked the halls for the last time with all the younger grade kids lining the halls & clapping (like a parade). It was really sweet and lots of tears were shed.

Outside of school, we didn't have any type of 'party' for DD (also our only) but we took her out for a nice dinner and got her a basic cell phone. 

That said, some of the people around here did have parties for their kids. But I really didn't feel it was a necessary thing. So it's kind of up to you what you and she want to do.

calsmom62
by Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM
me too!!! takes the specialness out of the meaningful graduations. 8 th grade graduations were in place because kids had the option of quitting the end of 8th grade up until the early part if the 20th century.

Quoting mjande4:

I agree 100% with this.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I personally hate elememtary."graduation." They aren't graduating. They are moving to a different school but moving up as they have every other year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)